Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of putting a 350 Chevy engine into my 94 jeep Wrangler. It only got a 4banger in it and I want to upgrade. I was wondering if they make new engines(that won't break my wallet) or will I just have to get one out of a junk yard and redo it. What big modifications would I have to make? Another qustion is would it be worth it for me to do, ecenomically speaking? I heard somehing about adapters for the transmission and special moter mounts. Do they make these so I can convert?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you're looking for a "new" engine, try your local Chevy dealer. Beware though that emmissions could be a terrible nightmare in such a new Jeep. You may need to run a significantly newer engine (probably at least a '96 with all the accompaning smog stuff in place) than '94 in order to keep your tailpipe emmissions below the standard of your original 4-popper. All the stuff you'd need for a swap (not counting engine & tranny) can be had from companies like Advance Adapters (hoping someone will put the link in next). Plan to spend a bundle. You might want to look into '96 & up "Vortec" 350's or even '99 & up Vortec 4800/5300/6000's. You can purchase a complete turnkey LS1 (5.7L 345HP) for about $5,500 from your local Chevy dealer.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's not the question of where can you find one, it is the question of where can't you find one. Open up a news paper and you will usually see a couple for sale, truck/car traders,and the gold spot junk yards. There is a late model only junk yard by me, that has tons of good engines waiting to be pulled. most have about 20k on them, and are from horrible wrecks.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
You can also order rebuilt ones from your local Autojerks store. I know Autozone will sell you one thats been bored out with a nice cam and all the timmings you could ask for. These are good as they come with warraties /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.