Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a Ford 8.8 rear axle in my YJ. The local junk yards are charging a fortune for these things. I'd like to find one with disc brakes like off the Explorers 94 and up. Anybody know where I can find a cheap used one? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chances are you won't find one cheap. I searched for a few weeks before coming across mine. About 25 junkyards wanted $1000 + core. I got mine for $600 and didn't have to give a core b/c the junkyard dealt only with foreign cars. They happened to get the 95 explorer two days before I called (it was beyond totaled so they got a good deal on it which is why they bought it - the roof was level with the hood and the passenger side was crushed in 12"). It was nothing but a stroke of luck for me. Had I called a day later, somebody else would have had it because their classified ads were printed in several publications and they had non-stop calls for it.
If I'm not mistaking, 95 and up have the disc brakes.

-Dorian
88 YJ w/ factory paint

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
dang where do you guys live? most joints around here wont charge that much.. around 600 bucks.. but they are few and far between out here. i would try some smaller junk yards.. sounds like you are in a high demand area.. travel alittle bit..and get out in the boonies someplace.. and try to find one..
i can get a d44 rear with disk brakes 4.33 gears and a posi... for 600 bucks.. they were in the isuzu rodeo's.. good luck

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Mobile, AL and I think we are in a high demand area because everything is expensive.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I paid less than $600 each for both of the 8.8s I have installed. One in Central California about a year ago(96 explorer, 3.73 and Trac Lock $575). The other about 2 months ago in reno, Nv. (95,3.73,T/L,$475). In Ca. I called all of the Junk Yards within a couple hunrded miles twice a week,(I made a list of all the yards,Ph #,contact name)taped the list to my desk, and called EVERY Mon. and Thur. morning. The first month I probably missed 5 of them because they wouldnt call me back. I finally found one at the end of the 2nd month when they were getting tired of me calling. Here in Reno I just got lucky and mentioned that I needed one for my YJ to a mechanic that I met at a local 4WD shop. As far as I know only the 95s and up have the discs, but I have heard people say that they were on some 94s??
Jeff
89 Wrangler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.