Off Roading Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I currently have a steel "box" with a hinged lid. I removed my rear seat and it fits nicely between the side walls. I also know a bunch of people who buy those plastic containers from Pepboys and Walmart for like $50 which are water proof and large enough to put everything into.

I do agree about getting headers. I can't hear anything with my new v8 and headers.

Take care

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I too use ammo cans, but to combat the rattling, I took a fellow jeepers advice and got some 1/4" thick foam, lined the whole inside with it, and Herculined the outside when I did the interior of my Jeep. Works good, no noise, and easy access!! Good luck....Oh yeah, I have on occasion taken my roll-away in my Jeep, we went on a 2 week trip, but had a base camp, came in VERY handy espescially when air tools were needed/preferred!! Have fun....Mark

66 CJ-5
225"Dauntless"V-6
33" Goodyear Wrangler MT's
2.5" Susp. & 1.5" shackle lifts

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
You can stuff so many tools in the bag that I am talking about that I can't carry it full. My entire 1/4",
3/8" and 1/2" socket set with rachects, extentions, and both shallow and deep sockets will only fill it
about 2/3 of the way.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I bought a multi-piece Craftsman set that came in a 4-drawer injection-molded plastic toolchest. It fits perfectly behind my back seat. You can buy the box separately for like $30-40 I think. The rest of my tools are in Bestop Jamboree Storage Modules on the wheelwells...the rattling isn't all that noticeable.

· Registered
1,976 Posts
I use a Walmart bought plastic tool box that holds enough tools to rebuild my Jeep and then stuffed with shop rags to eliminate the noise, strapped to the top of a Tuffy box that fits between the wheel wells, behind the rear seat, filled with spare parts, electric (12V converted), and air tools. with this set up it takes about 1 minute to get the box out and reach the parts. It's also light enough to carry around. With the shop rags in both boxes I have no noise to contend with,,,, other than the noises the Jeep is making as it tweaks up and over the boulders.

GP'n
69 Cammando
78 Cherokee Chief
87 Wrangler
92 Cherokee Limited

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
you guys carry air tools?? how man gallon storage tank do you need to be sufficient right now I have a bumer that holds air, what types of tools do you carry air rachets?? impact guns? what?
84 cjay7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know that Sears (Craftsman) has a soft tool bag that carries a large selection of tools. I couldn't find it at their website (have seen it there before) and it was featured in a 4x4 magazine not all that long ago.

Cutch 88YJ

· Registered
4,060 Posts
I remember seeing someone complaining about cleaning up from under storage boxes that were permanently mounted to the body...well here is my dream storage system and my plan on keeping the mud away from the body. First of all I have already Durabaked the interior of my tub, so I dont have to worry about rust. When I finally pitch in for a Tuffy Center Console and Rear Storage Trunk and install them, I will buy another gallon of Durabak, and "paint" them into the interior coating. This will keep the mud away and give your Jeep's interior a nicce, seemless finish. Since that will only use up about 1/4 gallon I'll be sure to put about 4 layers on, and then 4 layers into my wheel-wells. Right now I have a backpack that I toss al my tools into. It has two main enclosures. One enclosure holds my recovery straps, shackles, pulleys, etc. while the other holds our tools. The glovebox keeps those things most frequently used (air guage, small tube of silicone adhesive, etc) where they can be reached quickly.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.