Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This might sound stupid but I've got an idea. You know how they sell those wheel kits to put under your sleds so you can push them around your garage? My idea is why don't they make some with pneumatic tires that you can put on your skis? The reason I think like this is because I'm like allot of people I have to much CRAP and not enough room to store it all. I have a two car garage, and a driveway. I own three rigs, a camper, boat, and sleds. What I want to do is store the sleds in the back yard during the summer. As anyone knows that has rode a sled on there grass is the sleds rip the lawn up to hell. If you put wheels up front you could ride them on grass with out tearing up everything. I'm board at work that's why I'm rambling, sorry. Just a thought?? Top

Top Dawg!! Only the Big Dawgs Bark!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sure if its a fan cooled sled. They use to sell wheel kits for the front but havent seen any around for awhile. Other option is move to the Mnt's still got over a month of riding left and its a real bad snow year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If he is just moving them for storage he won't have to worry about if they're fan cooled.

Hey Top,
check this out.:
http://www.denniskirk.com

Look under "shop tools" & "dollies". The only ones that are all terrain type are not the same as the garage type that you mentioned and are a bit pricey for my cheap blood. You did get me thinking though, you didn't say what kind of sleds you got but, if the skies are like the metal OEM's (like on my polari) you could make your own! Just check out these:
http://www.northerntool.com Item# 13431

Get a piece of tubing to slide through the skies and the tires.Drill 4 holes into the tubing, put a washer and cotter pin on either side of each wheel and away you go. OK maybe something on the ends of the tube to hold it in the ski.
Better yet, since I live in Minnesota (Northern Tool headquarters ) I can stop on the way home, pick up a gross of these tires and sell this get up for $50/ea. and retire!!! hahahaha

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, I like your answere. I ride a High Mark 800 with Simmons Flex Skis, and my other half rides a High Mark 700 with the O.E.M. skis. Your right it won't matter if it's fan cooled, I'm talking about riding it for maybe 3 minnutes. That way I could put them away for the summer :( bummer! I'm trying to come up with something that could slip over the ski and the spindal would hold it from slipping back. Maybe with some sort of straps that would tighten them to the skis?? Hummm???? Always thinking......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Top,
How 'bout this, you could make the tubes long enough to have the wheels on the outsides of the skis, drill two more holes in the tube on the outsides of the ski frame and put two body washers and two more cotter pins in it. The body washers on the outsides of the ski frame will keep it from moving either way. When you are done just take out the cotter pins and washers and you can use the tires for a something else for the summer!

I think I will give it a try, I'll let you know how it works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Top,
I was reading your post again about your Flex skis, and if I am thinking of the correct ski, you don't have any kind of frame to slip the tube through. So maybe you could have two tubes, one on the top and and bottom of your skis with maybe a bolt running through both tubes in the middle (like the tie down bars on trailers). That way you could tighten the bolt enough to hold the two bars in place and not smash your skis.

I guess you aren't the only one who isn' t too busy at work!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. My skis are realy flexable and $$$$$ so I don't want to mess them up. The only thing I can realy think of is: Take my skis off then put a bolt threw the spindal and then put a wheel on. It just seems like to much work. I'm lazy. I'm just trying to find out something a little easier, a slip on type deal. And yes I'm bored at work. I look at it this way.....I get paid to learn what I want to learn!! Keep the idea's going!! : )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only other thing that I can think of for your skis would be some kind of cart that when you put your bumper on it your skis would be off the ground. In order to do that though, you would have to have 4 wheels and you wouldn't be able to steer. Maybe you could use the tube setup for your wifes sled and then when you go to move yours just run a strap from one end of the tube up over your bumper and down to the other end of the tube?

Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I'll make a rectangle box out of 1" square tubing that the whole ski would sit on, then put some ratchet straps on the tubing, one infront of the spindal and one behind the spindal. The wheels would be welded on the front and the back of the tubing. There would be two wheels per ski, do you follow? It's not like I'm going to go out and race the thing like that, or on the other hand it would be fun, don't have to worry about track spin!! HAHA!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.