Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've Been looking at alot of used wheels lately for my CJ-6. The ones now are in need of replacment. Is there any other wheel size that fits the Jeep 5 lug pattern ? A guy at a parts house tells of a time he put Ford rims on his old Willys wagon. Sounds strange but stranger things have happened.

If at first you don't succeed.....
Skydiving is not for you.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
ok.. once again..
early 80's dodge used 5 on 5.5 same as a jeep
ford used 5 of 5.5 for MANY years on all their 1/2 ton trucks(f-100,f-150)
many of these trucks have 10X15 aluminum rims and can be bought from a junkyard cheap and bead blasted to make look new

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dodge, Ford, and Scout all used the same wheel bolt pattern as Jeep. The thing to watch out for is be sure that the center hole is large enough to go over your hubs. Some of the Ford wheels have a smaller hole as their hubs don't have as large a diameter. If you think this is strange, just get into this Jeepthing a little more and you will see all kinds of parts that interchange.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess the old fella wasn't blowin smoke. Thanks for the info. I really am suprised about the way alot of parts swap from vehicle to vehicle I thought I was going to have to bu a bigger hammer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BiggJim, just remember the reason parts from other vehicles fit on Jeeps is that for years Jeep went dumpster-diving for parts.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary how dare you "dumpster diving", I prefer to call it appropriating or accumulating or Ala carte or something else not "dumpster diving " my Jeeps heart just made a little wimper. Thanks...Jim

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It's true, and it doesn't stop at the wheels. I saved my old Ford PU rims to use as spares, that is untill I went to 35's. By the way, I'd still keep the "bigger hammer" idea in mind - you'll probably need it.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you find a 5 on 5.5 wheel in good shape (or a set of them, rather) that have a smaller center (hub) hole, you can generally take them to a machine shop and have the center hole enlarged to your specs for a few bucks. That's what people told me when I asked this question a few months ago...

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Ala carte........I gotta remember that one./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
Best description I've heard./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Nowadays we calls it "outsourcing". When I worked weekends in a big wrecking yard as a hi skool kid, my favorite pastime was reading through the "Hollander Bible Of Interchange"....a manual that told you what fit onto what. I always wondered where they got all that stuff...."The '38 and later Desoto front drum will fit the '47 thru '56 Studebaker but you must use grease seal # 39013.".....SHEESH! It was FULL of that kind of stuff. I always pictured a shop somewhere and every day the guys try to interchange SOMETHING and then write it up./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.