Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got back from a local wheeling trip in the snow. These are also some pics of my new tires. The 34 10.50 ltb's. They work ok in the snow and they dig like mad. Well here ya go, sorry I didnt get those tire pics earlier.

ColeJ6

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had to get quite a bit of speed to make it a little ways in the powder. We kept backing up and plowing as much as we could. Sorry I dont have any good pics of the new tires. You can kind of see how skinny they are but they arent nearly as skinny as the 9.50's. Thanks for looking.

ColeJ6

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those are the exact tires I'm lookin at...tax refund, here I come! I realize you just got them, but any opinions you have so far would be great...also, what size are your rims? 8"? Thanks!

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls ;)
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nice tires. Looks like area near Snow Peak? I need to hook up with you one of these days to play in the snow. I just need to replace my wheel bearings before I wheel too much...

See ya.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neil:
It was on upper Berlin road just outside of waterloo. I live real close to Waterloo so it isnt much of a drive to get up there. Oh, by the way, are you going to mud fest?

wtrskib:
I really like the tires. I havent had them in enough mud yet to know exactly how well they work but, like I said, they dig like mad. I imagine that is because of the width. In the snow they work ok but the digging has a tenancy to sink you pretty quick. The snow we were in was kind of icy powder (if there is such a thing) and we only went as fast as the tires could dig. They would dig down get a little traction and then go a little ways and then have to start over again. No one was with us on this particular trip so I dont really have anything to compare them with yet.

Yeah they are 8" wheels

ColeJ6

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Looks good.
You can get even better performance out of them though, if you air way down. You can run lower pressures in the snow, and get better results, than on almost any other terrain.
In the past years, I have always ran a snow run or two, each year, but this year I have been doing it almost weekly, and with a club that has been into it for years. On one run, I was hauling a log to the fire, when I got hopelessly stuck(or so I thought) in some sloppy snow on a steep side hill. I unhooked the log, and proceeded to wind out my winch, when one of the snow Gurus sitting by the fire says "what are you doin", I says, "Im stuck,Im gonna winch out", he looks at the rig, and says "you arent stuck, let some air out of the tires". I was at 6 psi, so I explained that to him, and his reply was the same as before,.."AIR DOWN" he says. So I dropped the pressure to 3 PSI, hopped in and drove right out.
Point being you dont have to go to 3psi with your set up,(dont walk off a bead or anything) but you should have a very big bulde in your tires to get the most out of them in the snow. Probably try 12 psi or so, and experiment from there.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What tires are those? I've got 34x9.50 swampers on my Jeep. But haven't got out and used them much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are the 34 10.50 super swamper LTB. It used to be called a TSL but now is the LTB. They are a lot cheaper than the 9.50's at $115 a tire but I dont know about the difference in performance.

ColeJ6

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts