Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What\'s with TJ rollbars?

My brother got a new TJ and I was looking it over and two things stuck out for me. First, its MORE compact inside than my 23 year old CJ5! I actually felt like I was going to get stuck inside that thing.

The other thing I noticed (and scared me) was that the rollbar isn't a solid piece of tubing. Its made of two uprights (drivers side and passenger side) that are connected by a spanner bar which is held in place by bolts! Bolts are the only thing keeping it together (at least so far as I could see)!

Has anybody else noticed this? Just how safe would this be? I know my CJ rollbar works, but I just can't trust that TJ one...it seems to exude all those things I have been told NEVER to do to a rollbar!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Re: What\'s with TJ rollbars?

Just a comment, Don't downplay anything just because it is bolted rather than welded. Properly designed, a bolted joint can serve as well as a welded one.

That being said, I have never looked at a TJ bar, so I have no idea what they have!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

Just one point of contention... I belive DC call them "Sprots Bars." This may be a legal loophole but you're bettin' you're life it ain't. Just how far do you trust DC that those bars will hold up in a roll? Will they hold up as well as a full cage? Were they designed to:

roll on the trail,
on the road,
what speed,
what direction,
how many rolls can it sustain?

These are all unknowns to me. Again you're bettin' you're life that DC's answered all the above questions. One other fact, it's built as cheaply as it can be built to magnify profits.

As for me, I'll stick to a full cage. I know it's better designed and built. Function over form and cost. That's not a bet, it's a sure thing.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

The bar will hold up fine.

In one of the crashes performed by Consumer Reports, the TJ with a soft top scored one notch below the highest mark, not due to the crash, but because they didn't like the way the 1/2 door windows looked afterwards and thought maybe they didn't provide enough protection. It surprised everyone at how well it handled the crash. If I can find the report I'll post it. The TJ beat out many of the larger SUV's as well, kinda shocking to see my '95 Trooper beaten by the TJ, the Trooper is downright huge and I think built better.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts

about two yrs ago i got into an accident in my moms 97 TJ.......i was hit directly from the side and the guy was doing about 60mph.......it didnt roll over.......i think if it had been my CJ i would have flipped a few times.......that beig said......if the TJ is more stable, then maybe it has less use for a real roll bar??

Jeep'n Greg

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

While we're on the subject here, do y'all know which bolt in front sport bar is the best/easiest to install/least interference with switches, door handles, etc. for the TJ (oh and still be able to tie into the frame)?

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

1 - 7 of 7 Posts