Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What\'s this Jeep worth?

Hi all,

I've been a long time reader of this website, and I would like your opinions of what my Jeep is worth. Here's the specs:

1986 CJ7 built from ground up.

258 Inline-6 bored .030 over, headman headers, true dual exhaust w/ 2 chamber Flowmasters, custom fuel-injection, TFI distributor and electronic ignition. AGR Box and Pump, Ford NP435, Dana 300 clocked, with Currie Twin Sticks, Dana 44 rear w/ lockright locker and custom disc brakes Dana 30 front w/ lockright locker, Warn HD Axles and Internal Spline Hubs, Custom Braced and Galvanized Frame with Shackle Reversal, Spring Over with 2 ½ in. springs, 15/35/15 TSL's, Performance Accessories 2 inch body lift, 8 point roll cage, Warn 8274 winch w/ 125 ft. of cable.

All opinions are welcome. I know I'll never get the money I have put into it, back out of it, but I need a rough idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Re: What\'s this Jeep worth?

The problem with evaluating a Jeep like yours is that its worth depends almost entirely on the details and workmanship.

I looked at a "restored" '76 for a friend a couple of years ago. It was beautiful, with some good parts, and a nice body with a gorgeous blue metallic paint job. But a close inspection showed a lot of problems - Bondo filling rust holes, broken off and missing bolts, serious rust damage in the frame, hacked wiring harness, and on and on.

Unfortunately she had already bought it. Otherwise I would have told her it was worth a few hundred at most. In actuality, it should have been parted out, but it looked good.

If your Jeep was done right all the way through, it could be a $10K piece or more. If it's put together like my friend's, well . . . you get the picture.

Another factor; we all own Jeeps and most have had them for quite a while. We're not active buyers and sellers. I do look through the local classifieds, but old CJ's rarely show up there, and almost never have a price attached.

If you're not in a hurry, set a high asking price and see what happens. If it doesn't sell, take it off the market for a while, and then go back with a lower price.

If you are in a hurry, figure out the least you'll take, add 20%, and advertise it.

·
Registered
737 Posts

It depends on how it looks...but I bought my 1980 for $2500 bone stock with a I4; but they were askin $5500. I have seen between 1500 V8 rusty to $10000 stock. But this is coming to the end of jeep season. beter to sell them in early summer. not late.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

if its an alabama jeep about $3000 no more than $3500 but we need a picture. you can buy 86 models that been sitting in garage in mint shape all day for 2800-3500, all the extra add on have no value in money. Its blue book.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts