Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1979 360 out of a wagoneer 130-140 in all cylinders, 23 on vaccum pressure, 40-60 on oil pressure (these #'s are after warmed up) doesn't blow any smoke that I can see. Pretty sure it has never been rebuilt, one owner since new, comes with all extremities...a/c comp, p/s, factory intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel, HD clutch fan, air cleaner and carb...the works. The guy is even going to throw in the cj mounts. Only thing is that i am not sure how many miles are on it. How much should a guy pay for something like this?? I am guessing 800-900 dollars.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 258

G

·
I bought a j10 w/360 for 275 2 yrs ago. Around here they all rot out before the engines go and you can find them pretty
cheap.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
tooo much!
i have bought a lot for around $500 that ran great!
jeepgod only paid 800 for his waggoneer and it has a 401 that runs great....and now he has a spare front dana 44 and tranny etc..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
i would say $800-900 is a little on the high side, you could find a driveable truck with a 360 or even a 401 for that..

that is GREAT oil pressure for an AMC though, did you verify that with a trusted mechanical guage? maybe the guy stuck a resistor inline with the dash guage to brag about the good pressure...

a master kit for a 360 is $389
figure $700 tops for machine work

and your just barely over the $900 risky engine cost..

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a Jeep T18a CJ or truck!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are all good points...however, I am not in a part of the country where 360's or any older jeep parts are readily available. You wouldn't believe the prices people are paying for CJ's down here in lower AL. I would probably have to drive to TX to find a REAL good price on a 360. Besides, I thought those original exhaust manifolds were a gem of their own.

JK
O|||O
78CJ5 258

G

·
I think the point is that that's alot of money for a old engine. If it does need rebuilding your looking at a bag full of money. I would
personally find a core and rebuild it for about the same money.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
stock exhausts a gem? well $40 a set here...

local does make it hard sometimes, i fyour well versed in your local trader papers youll know better than anyone i guess, but you did ask!

good luck with it

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a Jeep T18a CJ or truck!!

G

·
For what its worth I just bought a 360 rebuilt with 40k on it since then... it has a mild cam, higher compression pistons (9.5) and was otherwise stock. It came short an alternator/brackets and compressor and was just a regular fan but I only paid $250 and that included a parts T15 and good D20. It was out of a trashed j10? '78 vintage. I'm in Pittsburgh,PA but I drove 5 hours into Ohio for it. Just letting you know... I have no idea what they go for around you, but I got one great deal for the PA area.

G

·
I feel your pain. Don't think Texas is any wealth of parts either. Not Southeast Texas anyway. I paid $400 for my 360 it was complete but needed rebuild. I'm in west Louisiana but will be stationed back in lower alabama in a couple years. Sorry to hear I'll run into the same problems. I've seen some good used stuff in Georgia might be worth a trip.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
my brother and i did a little parts swapping too. we bought a 78 j-20. he put the dana 44 and 60 under his wagoneer. i put the 360 and th400 into my cj7. i also put the dana 44 rear he took out under the rear. (he took out a dana 27 front and neither of us wanted that.) we got our $325 out of that truck.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input...I still like this engine, but maybe if I cant talk the guy down I will hold out for a better deal. I am not in a huge hurry, 258 runs fine. For this area, if I can get him down to 500-600 I think I will have done OK.

JK
O|||O
78CJ5 258

G

·
I too just bought a 360 with a T 18 and dana 20 for $700 out of Arizona.
It had 10,000 miles on a rebuild and looks great can't wait to get the body done. I'm a little afraid of it for my CJ7 though. 800-900 is way to high.
Laurie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.