Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What\'s the \"Diff\"?

What is the stock differentials on my 98 TJ Sport 4.0L? I keep hearing the "Dana" references, but I am new to the whole concept. Is the stock a piece of crap, does it have a limited slip? I noticed a hose that goes into the front diff, what's that for?? When I start doing some more demanding wheeling, am I going to be hating life?

I am currently running a stock suspension with 31" Pireli Scorpion AT's.

Thanks!!!

Rifraf

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
Re: What\'s the \"Diff\"?

whoa, calm down. you have a dana 30 front axle. the hose is just the vent for the housing. it is run up high to keep water from entering through the vent. the rear is either a dana 35 or 44. the 44 is stronger but there are plenty of people having no problems with the 35. if you want to know if it has a limited slip, block the front tires and jack up one rear tire. put the transmission or transfer case in neutral and turn the wheel. if it turns fairly easily, it's an open diff. if it requires a lot of effort, it's a limited slip.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Or the emergency brake is on./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Does anyone know if limited slip is standard on any models? Or only aftermarket?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's not that limited slip is only aftermarket, or that they come as standar equipment, you can get them as an option from the factory, or get the aftermarket ones. If I was to buy a new Jeep TJ right now, I would get the optional Dana 44 and the limited slip. Just my opinion.

Aaron
95YJ SOA
w/many mods

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

my 87 has what jeep calls a trac-lok rear axel which was an option according to my owners manual. it provides a constant driving force to both rear wheels and reduces wheel spin caused by the loss of traction at one driving wheel. if traction differs between the two rear wheels, the differential automatically proportions the usable torque to the wheel that has traction. this is qouted out of the owners manual!
my rear differential has a metal tag saying to use limited slip fluid.
steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Okay... so I will take a look and see if I can figure out what I've got. If it ends up being an open diff, then adding a limited slip locker is pretty easy, right? What, just pop off the diff cover and replace a couple things in there?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
586 Posts

No, Limited slips require a special carrier(the think that holds all the little gears and ring gear). Go with a Locker instead. You will still have to pull the axel shafts out to get the carrier out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.