Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What\'s the best pre-computer Carter Carb

I've seen several posts debating which carb to use on my 87 258. I've decided to stick with the Carter but I want to take the computer out of the loop. I'm needing to do something with the carb anyway-rebuild or get a new one. Which pre-computer Carter is the best one to use? Are they all about the same or are there some that are better than others? Any help is appreciated.

G

·
Re: What\'s the best pre-computer Carter Carb

Before you go and blame the Carter BBD for all the problems, make sure that it is the problem. First, one of the most common problems is a worn throttle plate shaft. Second...if you are in a state that requires emissions testing, you will flunk the visual. I just made the GM HEI conversion and I am amazed at how well my jeep is running. I now have passing power...it is a world of difference. At this point, I see nothing wrong with the Carter BBD. I would hate to see you change out yours to only find out that you had a problem somewhere else.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Re: What\'s the best pre-computer Carter Carb

I agree,tho its on a Eagle,its the same motor and carb,tho i did disable the stepper and did the nutter bypass,over a year ago i took my
BBD off,stripped it,and i think what is most important,took it to a carb shop and had it boiled out professionaly.I then rebuilt it with a
12.00 kit.And it has worked perfect for over a year now.BTW i did add a fuel filter from a 86 Ford Tempo that had fuel injection.
They are sposed to filter smaller particles than a regular filter.I have no idea if that has helped to keep it working right,but it did
clog the idle tubes once before i did this and not since.Im happy with mine...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.