Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to do a rattle can paint job what would be the best brand of paint ot use? I need to paint after I fix a few rust spots but Im not so sure that I want to fork over the money for a pro job downtown. Thanks.

69' Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is no such thing as a good looking rattlecan job, well maybe camo., but besides that, I like the rustoleum industrial coating line, it's good paint and the cans seem to work good.
If you have access to a compressor, you could probably buy a cheapo paintgun, some tractor enamal and reducer for about the same price as the cans.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I still like Hammerite.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm getting ready to paint my whole jeep soon and I's asking the same question, I'd like to paint it black, again any suggestions?

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Go with dirtrod suggestion. I have seen both rattle cans and the tractor enamal paint jobs. the enemal jobs come out much much better. Also prep the jeep yourself and then send it to maco. I have seen a lot of maco's paint jobs and as long as it is preped right there paint holds up fine and looks good.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm with Jeepn...I like Hammerite...I'm about to paint my Frame in it...and I've already started to paint my fenders with it...Looks good even out of a spray can...but I must say...I just got a 40 Gal. Craftsman Air Compressor and I'm about to get a spray gun for it....so I can do the job right...My order of 1 Gal. of Bright Yellow Hammerite just came in...I'm stoke'd!!!!!!

Tucker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YOu guys that are painting your Jeeps with Hammerite, are you using the hammered finish or the smooth. I would love to try painting my Jeep with red hammered finish if it is available. I have not been able to find it anywhere around here though, anyone know where I can find it one line that I can order spray cans for a decent prices, I would like to order on can just to see how it works, Thanks for your help.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JeepJunkie,

I'm using the Smooth Finish...and so far I like how it looks...much better than what I had before (Rust). The place that I've got most of my Hammerite from is. http://www.hamiltonmarine.com/ give them a call...they will be able to help you...Also a good link for info on Hammerite is. http://www.hammerite-automotive.com and http://www.hammerite.com

Hope this helps...I'll post pics once I'm done...but I think I'm a long ways away from done....

Tucker

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well, I have seen one rattle can job that looked really quite good. It was dark green and pretty smooth, just looked a little less shiney than a "real" paint job. You might want to look into Krylon paints. Krylon did have some cans with a fan pattern nozzle on them and it worked pretty well. When you sprayed the paint it was in a flat fan spray pattern similiar to a real spray gun. Almost forgot, don't go with the cheap $.99 paint. Most of this paint I have tried has much less pigments in it, so more coats are required for good coverage.

BMB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BMB,
Just curious as to where you say that rattle can job that you thought turned out really good. I had a CJ7 that I painted dark green out of a rattle can and it came out great. I prepped it real well and put alot of coats on it sanding it lightly between each coat, I was really pleased with the results. I see that you are from Ga and I am from Pa so the chance that it was the one that I painted is really slim but I have no idea where it went after I sold it. Just curious.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I painted my entire jeep with Duplicolor truck bedliner (about $200.00 in rattle cans). It was painted in sections and at different times and temperatures. It all matches and every single person that has seen it, has asked what it was painted with.

When I bought my CJ-7, my tub was shot so, I patched it back together for a few years (before the new tub goes on) and didn't want to pay big $$$ for a paint job that just won't last very long (not $$$ well spent) so I tried the bedliner. It is not as rough a surface and many of the other liners out there and has a nice look to it once dry.

The whole jeep came out WAY better that I ever expected. I recommend this without reservation. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif The black texture hides many of the tubs imperfections, yet is smooth enought to wash with a sponge and is extremely durable.

The black color combined with the stainless hardware looks mint!

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

torx: mistake, or did they do it to us on purpose?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well.. i used Krylon HI Gloss.. and ill tell you this.. its one sweet rattle can job.. everyone compliments it.. after they see it.. cant believe i did with cans... take your time.. good prep.. and it comes out sweet.. alittle less glossy than a real job.. but it still looks good.. especially for a jeep..
also like pontiac's deal with maco.. if you do the prep work.. and do it good.. then it turns out great.. and only costs a couple of hundred.. cant ask for much more than that..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
773 Posts
JeepJunkie, it was on a buddies Toyota, but green must be a popular repaint color because my Jeep was repainted in green by the previous owner.

BMB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you guys have any pics you could post of what this Hammerite paint looks like? Sounds interesting...

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
'79 K10 mud racer (for sale)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts