Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week a high school kid plowed into the passenger side of my zuk and did some damage. So far damages are over $2200 with possiblity of more damage not seen. The insurance adjuster said the zuk will be a total loss. My question is whats a fair amount I should try to go for. My zuk 1987 almost 100% rust free, spoa, sitting on 30's real strong runner could pull 70mph on the highway. Any ideas would be greatly appriated. I'll try to post pics later today.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Did you opt for the "accessories" coverage? If not, most add-on items may not be covered.

You could always sue the other driver (and/or owner) in court, but it's an uphill battle as you have to supply proof of what a replacement would cost. And they get a lawyer supplied for free by their insurance company. You have to hire one.

Sorry to hear of the problem. Maybe swing a deal to buy the truck back for $100. Otherwise, if you take the check for it being totalled, the truck is theirs.

F'ing kids.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
FWIW,

Kelly Bleu Book has a retail of $1,810 with 96,000 miles

This assumes the following:

clean and clear, Rear Seat, JX Deluxe, AM/FM Stereo Cassette, Single Compact Disc, Custom Bumper, Grille Guard, Ovrsize Off-Rd Tires

At NADA, it's $1,076 at the low end and $2,201 at the high end. Same variables.

Don't it make you sick?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only had liabilty insurance on it, but the kid was at fault so his insurance company is the issuing the check. I will buy the truck back and fix it. probly going to need another front axle/front springs and possibly another Z-link and new wheels i'll just leave the dents for looks. i was thinking some where in $1500-2000 range thats what it would cost me to buy another one in simular shape.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I'd take the $2200 and the vehicle back and then decide what to do with it. Most likely you'll end up having a salvage title making the vehicle worth very little for resale.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Unfortunately without full coverage asdditional accesory coverage you have very little chance of getting much more than the low end of book value. That is why I have full coverage of 10,000 on my sammi. Yes it cost's a lot but if I screw up or someone his me I can build the same vehicle even better. Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Even if you have "value coverage" you can get hosed.
If you don't have the vehicles value appraised, and they total it you are at thier mercy (depends on your state law).
Evan if you have reciepts. Just went through it with my Ins company
(Progressive). They gave me less than half the value of the reciepts I had. Just installed a new motor and other work. So make sure you check your state laws, if they total it in alot of states you are SOL without an appraisel. The funniest part was my ins bill for the year was just short of what they refused to pay. Yes they lost a customer with nothing on their record, to there compatition. They didn't seem to give a rip. The compatition was happy to take care of all my needs, and for less money.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
yup i agree with GRW, insurance companies do not give a flying fawk about customers or if teh customer takes their business else where. none of teh ones around here do anyway.

as for getting a custom zuk appraised for "replacement value", who the hell does these apprasails on samurais? i know it is not a problem on classics and street rods, but for sammies?? hell most insurance adjusters can't tell a spoa zuk from a stock one. you know your in for it when the adjustor has to ask if the zuk is an isuzu or a tracker.

if dieseltech gets hosed on this one, i am going to pay those candy-assed rich bastards a visit (parking lot is full of lincoln navigators and escalades).....and i am already greeted on a first name basis when i walk in their office....and it isn't because they are happy to see me either!

i have great results anywhere else by being "nice guy", but not with insurance people. being nice guy to insurance people gets you bent over and the insurance agent will not stop until they hit the back of your teeth!

i haven't been this fired up in a long time!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just thought I would give everybody an update on what turned out after having my suzuki totaled. Insurance company had a tough time finding any simular trucks around here to base a "fair market value" on so they went with actually dealers' quotes. They ended up valueing the truck at just over $1400 and my buy back on it was $250. I bought the truck back and am getting a check for $1177.50. I was happy it was least over $1000 that was my goal, as for the truck I am going to repair it and probly sell it and find another to build up. thanks everybody for their input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.