Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What\'s it worth...

Never thought I'd post a post like this on here... but I'm thinking about selling the Jeep.

I'm joining the airforce in sept.. and the jeep doesn't really fit the lifestyle anymore. I could have it stored by the AF until I need it, but that seems pretty pointless as my first move after getting it back would be to sell it.. or park it.

Anyways... I know that USA prices tend to be quite different then Canada.. but if anyone can give me a guess it would be much appreciated.

1989 YJ Sahara.
Hardtop, Softtop, Bikinitop. Full Doors, 1/2 doors.
custom bumpers front and rear.. spare tire carrier. Warn 8274 w. cable.
1/4" rocker gaurds with sidesteps.
OBA.. 1/2 installed.
GM 5.0L 305ci Camero engine. TBI Fuel injection. TH350 auto trans, D300case. flat skid. D44 front, and rear. spooled front.
Larger mastercylinder to corrospond wiht bigger brakes.

SOA Suspension. New shocks.. amazing travel.
GoodYear MTRs. 35" 90-95% Black wagon wheels.
Dual exhaust.. w. dual flowmasters.

I also have a garage just full of parts and bits that I haven't gotten round to installing.
new trans, oil, volts, water gauges.
RCI buckets.
120ft of DOM tube for a cage.
Headman headers.

When I look at my jeep.. I know it's ugly.. and thats going to effect the price.. but at the same time.. its a completed 4wheeler. All the little bits and peices have been done. All the tips and tricks from here have been implimented.

It was all taken appart.. all put back together.. finally got it running.. and never really wheeled it. so all the parts are newish freshly installed and undamaged.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: What\'s it worth...

It depends on how bad you want it gone, without seeing it its hard to say. In Nebraska the local auto traider has a 70-something (bone stock) for $8000 and a newer 80's mildly modified for $2000. Even with recepts, you wont get what you put into it. Im guessing that 5-6,000 might be real good; but dont be suprised with offers around 1-2000. Try E-bay, or see if the Air Force will move it with you to the next duty station, and sell it there. Sorry to lose a jeeper.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The AF will move it for me.. and that was my original plan, but even that isn't satisfactory.. when it got to the other provinces, it would have to be inspected. When it was inspected it would fail. Not because its unsafe, but because it's not stock. Inspection=Stock. right down to the style screws that hold the front of the hardtop on.

From looking in the local papers and such, stock 89s seem to go for about $4500.. slightly modded 89s.. (33s, 3" lifts) go for about $7000-$8000.

I don't have receipts for any of it.. I never planned on selling it so I never really kept track of everything that I put into it. I know I wont get back what I put in...

·
Registered
556 Posts

speaking as a old voice with the experience of 20/20 hindsight. Keep the Jeep. Store it, ship it, curse it, store it, and on and on. Each time I sold something I thought I was through with that phase of my life, the same thing you just stated.
Now many years later I look at and wish I still owned: Kaw/1200 motor cycle, 59 Ford Convertible, 80 Starcraft Islander, on and on. Just a been there done that person.
If you can honestly look back at the Jeep and say never was fun, never wanted to improve it, never wanted to drive it. Sell it. Those wishes will return.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I know what you're saying.. and I never thought I would ever want to sell it.

I wouldn't even be thinking about it if I hadn't seen the prices that local stuff is listing for.
I just found another one.. a 91 with some 31s.. on a dealer lot for $10,050

I'm definitely thinking that in the future I will wheel again.. but my next 3 years are pretty much worked out. Lots of moving, driving or shipping from posting to posting.

If I were to keep the jeep, I would no doubt store it on my own dime for 3 years.
If I sold it and bought something a little smaller, faster, and more practical, then I'd store it for 4 months, and have it shipped out, inspected.. and use it from base to base.

I really appreciate the advice guys, and I'm definitely fence sitting here. Right now it kind of depends on what kind of price I could get.

G

·

Unless they have changed the rules, you as long as you are active duty, you can keep the veh reg in your home state....well, in your case, you may have to pick a state...which you will have to do anyway for income purposes....

Which AF? US or Can?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Canadia.

I get 6 months instead of 30 days to re-register my vehicle.
It's really going to depend on what I can get for it now I think.

It's not a daily driver anymore, and I think that's my biggest problem. It costs a lot to fill it, and even more to drive it. It rattles, its either running hot or cold depending on the weather, and it is tiring to drive it on the highway.. and I only drive 10-15min to work.

I need leather.. AC.. and a sound system...

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

I need leather.. AC.. and a sound system...

[/ QUOTE ]

Leather and sound system are pretty cheap upgrades. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm surviving in Arkansas with heat index over 100 (lots of humidity) without A/C.

·
Registered
410 Posts

It's not like you can't buy another Jeep down the line. If anything, this is giving you an excuse to get another car.

Down the line you'll be able to pursue the perfect Jeep again. Sometimes change is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.