Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just wondering what was better a waren or a ramsy? i know aa lot of people like warens but i don't know. but just wondering what you thought was better. or if you think other kinds are better.

John/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

'63 Willys/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: whats better a warn or a ramsey??

This is a great topic to try a search on. Both companies make good winches in a variety of models. Warn, IMHO, doesn't make any crappy winches. Ramsey, also IMHO, does make some crappy winches. That said, I have a ramsey winch. It is the worm drive 8000#, but retrofitted with a new 4.8hp motor...and I'm very happy with it. There will be lots of debate over what kind of motor is better, permanent magnet or series wound. Series wound is heavier duty, but pulls more power (is less efficient). Permanent magnet isn't as heavy duty and in theory gets weaker every time it is used...but is more efficient, and a lot of people on the bbs use them with good effect and great durability. A lot depends on price, availibility, and your intended use. I had great luck with Ramsey customer service when rebuilding my winch, and lots of people have great luck with Warn as well. This is a Chevy v. Ford issue. You're bound to hear "I saw a ramsey break in two" or "Warns burn up motors like cordwood" or other similiar comments...but the fact of the matter is, when you compare apples to apples in the two lines, both work great, have very similiar motors and drivetrains, the same mounting technique, and work very well. The Warns tend to be a bit more expensive, but typically have a little better reputation...my experience notwithstanding.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I think the end all debate is personal preference, and what you can get a good Deal on... I loved my Ramsey REP8000.. used and abused it without ever having a single problem... my friend fried his Warn in the first year he had it. That is my experience, They are both really good brands, so go with what you can get a deal on...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

I have a Ramsey. Its been pretty good for the money. Any brand can and will break. What I can tell you about aftermarket support is that Ramsey has very little. Dont count on Ramsey to help you with parts or info.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'll add a little from my personal experience. I have a warn 8074 winch, the predicessor to the mighty 8274. The winch is from 70s, it has been resealed and other maintance type things but it still pulls strong for me. I also have to give credit to warn, before I bought my winch (I got mine used, my winch is probably is nearly as old or older than me) I e-mailed warn a lot asking for info about the winch. Specifically upgrading it to a 8274, they gave me tons of help. Responded to my e-mail within a couple of days and even sent me a manual in the regular mail for free. All this for a 1970s winch that they realistcally were not going to make any money off of. So Ramsey may make as good a winch but warn pretty much won me over for life with all the help they gave before I purchased my used winch.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm

·
Registered
276 Posts
There both pretty good, I was even going to get a Ramsey, but got a great deal on a used Warn mounting plate, then a good deal on a new Warn winch, so had to go Warn. But if I had found a good deal on a Ramsey, that's what would be on the front of my Jeep right now. Though I did hear one good argument for getting a Warn is if you're out on the trail, and you forgot or damaged your control cable, there are more people out there that have Warns that could loan you their cable then there are Ramseys.

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
Duct tape, WD-40, and a BFH, what else do you need?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I've never had enough money to own a winch,but since the ramsey factory/base is in my town..support ramsey.
More money/more jobs in my area /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I have seen both burn up and both break in half. They are about the same in my book. Buy which ever you can get the best deal on.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: Warn or Ramsey??

Look at what the pros use: you won't find a wrecker with a Warn - they all use Ramsey hydraulic worm-drive winches; cement trucks use the same. What does that tell you? I have a Warn XD9000i that I got (slightly) used in perfect condition and I've used it once - the first person to put $600 in my hand can have it.

[email protected]

·
Registered
276 Posts

Steve83, the big keyword that you used is (industrial) HYDRAULIC Ramsey winches. Big difference then the electic winches most people are using on their rigs. BTY, if I hadn't just got my HS9500i, I'd buy your winch in a heartbeat. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
276 Posts
JoeyCJ55, why don't you get a job at the Ramsey factory so you can get all of us on the board a discount on winches? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

Can you tell which one I prefer? (see attached picture)

We have not had one ounce of problems with the 2 Warn winches we have, granted we haven't had them for a long time (a little over a year on both). We have the HS9500 on my '85 and a used 8274 that I bought off of e-bay on Rick's. We have used them probably more than the average wheeler since we've had them, especially the 8274. They are both very fast.

I've witnessed people having problems with a Ramsey. I wouldn't say I'd rule out buying a Ramsey all together, I still think they are reputable and a good winch, but everyone has their personal preference & Warn is mine. Oh, and Ford too on the Ford/Chevy thing.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Warn has a much better on/off switch. My Ramsey one tore off, and now i'm going to have to take it all apart and replace it because they didn't use regular metal so i couldn't just weld another tab on. REALLY annoying.

Blake Cannon
94YJ 4banger. 4" lift. 33s. Winch. 4.56. Rear Detroit.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I don't think they would hire me ;)
The guy my mom's dating is a machinest for them,and one of my friends dads designs the winches.
He did the ramsey with the remote control.
I could get a winch for pretty cheap, but they are still too much for me :)

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: Keyword

Steve, don't get me wrong, I like them both. If I got the deal on a Ramsey Platium Pro 9500 like I got on my Warn HS9500i there would be a Ramsey on my Jeep right now. BTY, it was $820 including shipping. There's a guy on eBay selling them at this price all the time.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: Cheap???

Joey,
Do some horse trading, and your CJ5 will be up and running before you know it /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

Scott
'85 CJ7 T.H.O.R.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts