Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my jeep is an '80 cj-7 with a 258. when i bought it i was told they put a 'new' engine in it. i called a local jeep dealer and read them the #'s off the block. they say it is a '77 engine, but the valve cover apparently is not. it is the cheap (leaking) plastic one. the pass. side of the valve cover is not as 'rippled' as the driver side. so the question is what year might this be so i can 1) find the right gasket, 2) find a replacement valve cover at the junkyard. thanks all for the help.

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's the one. so now the question is, are there any replacements for it other than aftermarket (can i find a replacement at the junkyard) also, if it is a '77 block with '81 or newer head, could that potentially cause any problems?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just search the wreckers for a toasted pre-1980 258 and scam the metal valve cover. I think any of them will fit...

"Most people would die sooner then think - in fact, they do so."

G

·
Don't know about the interchangability of the heads, but it seems to me if you drilled the head for the 1/2" head bolts which I believe a 77 has, then you would be OK. Quadratec, 4WDHW and others all have replacement aluminum valve covers. The Quadratec is th cheapest, I have one and have been happy with it.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did find a pre-'80 valve cover, but it is not straight on the pass. side like the plastic one, so i didn't think it would seal up right.

and on a not so happy note, i just over-torqued the @#%^&* platic valve cover and cracked it, so....guess it's time to make a change. my debate is that for the money of one of those alum valve covers, i can buy a whole 4.0 head and valve cover and do a head swap. catch is that i just don't have the time right now b/c it becomes a bigger project changing intake and exhaust manifold.....see the delema?

shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.