Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some help. I have an oppoprtunity to buy a 78 CJ5 with a T18. The T18 has the 6.39:1 first gear so its pretty cool. Now i know this board is mostly full of cheap skates but i need to know what you really think the t18 is worth and if anyone would be interested in it. This jeep is in pretty bad shape but it might be worth buying it so that the drive train goes to a good home. Thanks- Tim

The drive train is the 258, T18 and dana 20. All with 71,xxx org. miles

sell me your jeep please!!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Re: what would you pay for a CJ T18?

A 6.32:1 t-18 sign me up, I have a 4.01:1 T-18, but I have no money to buy your item I'll keep dreaming til I do and another offer comes along. I bought my T-18 the 4:1 one for $400can. if that helps
Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Up here they're $500 or so just for the tranny, when they can be found.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

jeepn- I have only seen two for sale near me including the one i found. How rare are they? Does anyone know how many were even made?- Tim

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

I paid 650 for a compltely gone thru rebuilt T18 (6.32 1st) with shifter, new rubber mount and bushing up here (Wa). They run from abou 400 up depending on what condition the are in.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·

Cheap-skates probably isn't accuratte, like in my case it would be more like "married" ,or the politicly correct "monitarily challenged"
:)
BUY IT

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

I have no idea how many were made, but in all my travels, with all the jeep clubs I have been in, I have never seen a factory one. Everyone I know has either swapped the Ford guts or retrofitted the FSJ T-18.

I'm sure they're not too rare, just depends on the region, but I think they're hard to find up here.

Just FYI, the T-18a was available as an option only behind the 258, and the stock gearing was 3.54, but the optional gearing was 4.09. If they sprung for the T-18, they may have sprung for the lower gears as well, which would be nice.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·

If you figure that by the time people go through the time to mate a Ford T-18 to a Dana 20, they've probably spent over $500 in adapters and such. That's with an aluminum adapter plate between the tranny and t-case. With the factory setup, you get that nice beefy cast iron adapter plate. Then if you find another CJ-5 to put it in, the driveshafts can go with it and all the fabrication is already done from the factory. You could probably get about $600 or more with with the tranny, t-case, and driveshafts if they're all in good condition because it would bolt-in to '76-'79 CJ-5.

I built my mix & match 6.32 low T-19 with pieces from two different Scout T-19's, a Ford T-18 and a Ford T-19. Then the Advance Adapter's plate ran me $185. Total, I've spent almost $600 on the transmission alone but I get the synchro first. I still haven't gotten driveshafts yet, so that's another few bills out the window.

If I had come across something like a '78 258 CJ-5 with a T-18 cheap before I started into it all, I probably would have pissed in my pants. It would already be in my Jeep as well. I don't think that CJ T-18's are that rare, I think they're just hard to find for swaps. What you found could be worth a lot to someone who doesn't want to go through too much work to swap out a T-150.

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I went to go see the jeep this morning. The shop owner wasn't there but his son was. His son helped me get it running, it seems to run well for not running in a while. I am going to call tonight to make him an offer. His son said that he tought it wasn't worth much, and that they needed to get it off their lot./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

So my next problem is do i restore it or find a CJ/YJ that needs a drivetrain?? I think that finding a needy CJ would be my best bet (cheapest) but i dont have any place to put 2 jeeps. 1 jeep is pushing it in my house. Any ideas?...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

not much left of it... Tailgate, right rear corner, left fenderwell, both floor boards, windshield frame, cowl, both fenders, and some of the hood are all gone or have BIG gapping holes in them. The frame has a lot of rust on it, but no holes in it yet. Two of the body mounts are toast. I guess the frame is fixable but it wont be fun.

G

·

Maybe take the thing, pull the tranny, t-case and part out the rest and send the rust to the scrap heap. I've found that parts are easier to keep than whole vehicles. But then you kick yourself when you could have used a part from the heap after you got rid of it. Good luck!

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body

1 - 12 of 12 Posts