Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,
Does anybody know what the last year was for the SD25 diesel in pickups? I am the second owner of an '87 that was bought new here in Canada. It is just about at the 300K mile mark and it purrs like a kitten. I'm told '88 was the last, but no verification. Also, were they available later than that in the US? Just curious, I could sell a parking lot full of them if I had them, they're very rare in these parts. Thanks,
Cory

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
are you sure its an SD25, not an SD22, or LD28?

this place http://www.jescoweb.com/nissaneng.htm#DIRECTORY lists just about anythign except an SD25, including the old Nissan 'Scout' diesel. afaik, the industrial blocks use the same bellhousing pattern as the automotive blocks - these guys specify both types anyway. Looks liek you can still get the motors new if you try hard enough.

chris

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chris,
Yessir, she's an SD25. Its on the hood info tag and the engine. I also have the FSM for it and thats what it lists. I was just kinda curious about it, I sometimes have to battle with the younger parts guys who don't seem to believe me that its a diesel. Ya see, my truck is an '87, which was the first year for the '87-'97 body style, but to my knowledge, the last year for the diesel engine option. I have seen a few of them around the province, but there are very few of them left today. It appears to me what happened was that they had decided to stop offering the diesel engine option but whatever engine overruns they had, they just put them in the '87 model trucks, I dunno, just a thought. I think the SD25 was only offered on the later years, like '85-'87, with the engines prior to that being the SD22, or SD28 that you mentioned. I've found that its much easier to order parts for it when I tell them its an '86, then there is no hassle. It seems some of the younger parts guys, don't like to use an old dinosaur like a microfiche, he he. Anyhow, I was just trying to dig up some info on it, and maybe shed some light on another avenue to get parts for it and such. Thanks for the reply, I'll check out that site.
Cory

G

·
Well I can tell you that they never made it to the U.S. as far as I know.

I would LOVE a diesel Hardbody!!! Which of course would now be a Diesel Unissamog

G

·
Yup, I know that they are used in Industrial equip. and in scouts for a while.

I have always contemplated a diesel swap into any and all of my trucks, and as soon as I win the lottery.......:)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
just out of curiosity then...why didnt you keep the 240D in the Unimog chassis, and just stick the Nissan body on top??

RPM's, arent the issues, and the 240D can be turbocharged to bring it up to speed....I htink you mentouend soem sort of deal on the engine-less chassis, but the engine its self is nothing fancy , just a standard Mercedes 240D sedan block: you can pick them up in GOOD condition for <$1000 US, ready to go for another 500,000 miles!

chris

G

·
The engine on the chassis wasn't the stock one, and wasn't diesel.

I could have gotten that engine, but my nissan mill has power steering, a/c, a good amount of HP, and most importantly fuel injection.

I could have dona na engine swap too, but this project is hard enough as it is.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
??? I thought the early pics of your chassis had a caption about the '220D, or 240d still attached?? either way, the 240D is the same bellhousing pattern as the stock 2.2l M180 gas engine - if you were to use a pre '74 block, the engine mounts are in the same location, and everything. I was getting 200+HP from the benz SOHC in the Niva...and that would also have been a bolt up (probably easier with the Nissan bdoy than under the original mog, actually)

ah, never mind, the V6 will probably motorvate you better anyway 8^D does the Mog use a 2 part bellhousign liek teh sedans? if so, fitting in the 3 liter shouldnt be too hard. ( let me know if you need a benz flywheel cover, I've got about 8 of them hanging around from aconversions) cant wait to see pics of it in action.

chris

G

·
I dunno 'bout the US, but in europe they were available until this year. The SD25 natural aspirated and the turbochrged TD25. They introduced a new 2.5 Ltr. Turbo Diesel with 133hp this year for the pick up wchich makes it the most powerful Diesel pick up in europe.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Gracias - I know they're past the 'theoretical' stage, but didnt have a realistic release datse for them. The Porsche Cayenne is, I know, out this year, and the dealer I know was under the impression that the VW would be too. ( Porsceh doesnt have the diesel engein option though)

hey - your bio says Austria though - isnt there still a 300 class diesel G-wagen available in Germany?? ( not to mention a 2.4 TD powered BMW X5 (same engine as the 524TD)??)

chris

G

·
Hey Chris, we will see the V10 Diesel VW Touareg with 750NM torque by end of this year on the streets around here. This beast even has a real t-case and lockers. The G-Wagon here is still sold with the 3.5 Turbo Diesel as G350 and the brand new G400CDI Commonrail V8 Diesel with torque numbers somewhere in the high 500's Nm. Awesome thing this G400CDI. The 524 is dead a long time now. Since they introduced the X5 it's always available with the 3 Litre Turbo Diesel (a dog). The 524 always suffered from warped and cracked cyl.heads when driven like europeans do on the autobahn. BTW, I'm about an hour away from Austria in southern Germany (Bavaria), close to Munich and the Oktoberfest

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
thanks mudman - I was just wondering when you said the Nissan with 135 HP was the most powerful diesel truck, 'cause I know even the older Benz's, and BMW's made more than 135 HP.

LOL - I'm aiming for 135-145 HP out of mine by the time I'm done with it (turbocharged, intrcooled, and propane catalysed) - how well does the 135HP diesel Frontier drive, and do you happen to have any of the performance numbers for them? ( we dont get them here in Canada, otherwise I'd I'd have one - diesel Xterra mmmm, good 8^D)

chris

G

·
I haven't had the chance for a test dribve with new Diesel yet, but Nissan gives a 133 HP's around 300NM torque and a top speed of 100+ mph.
The Terrano II, based on the first gen. Pathfinder, just got the 3 liter diesel out of the Patrol with 154 HP and 350 NM torque. That's a pretty good number for such a compact 4x4

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.