Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Anyone know of a Jeep Transfer case with a U-shaped shift pattern? Dana20? Dana18? Dana300? My T-18 had one attached to it when i got it and i am not exactly sure what it is. I think it is a Dana20. Any ideas? The tranny and T-case aren't here for me to look at (getting rebuilt). Anyone got any ideas on this??

Thanks

Kevin
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/cj7.htm
79 Jeep CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey, if the shifter has a real nice enclosure where it mounts to the shift rails of the dana 20, then it sounds like it came from a cornbinder.
good luck,jjc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
International harvester, I think I saw a transfer case like that a while back that came surplus from the local school bus garage, the school district had all IH pickups (must have gotten a package deal when they bought buses).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah but the bellhousing that it was all attached to was for a Jeep 360 V8 and the guy said it came out of a Jeep at some point but wasnt sure when and where. The Bellhousing WAS a Jeep Bellhousing though and it was all attached.

Any IdeaS??

Thanks

Kevin
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/cj7.htm
79 Jeep CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How deep is the bellhousing? IH used amc 258's, and 401's the bellhousing is 10.75" deep. all the IH transmissions used the same legnth input saft, so if your bellhousing is 10.75 it might be an international, if not chances are it came from a full size jeep???
good luck,jjc

· Registered
485 Posts
The tranny/transfercase combo definitely came from a J truck. The J trucks used a "U" shaped shift pattern on the dana 20.
Not all J trucks but some, so you will have to check out the tech section of offroad.com. That should be able to tell you what years.

One more thing...does your tranny have reverse down by 4th or up by 3rd?

Alec

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
the wagoneers came with a dana 20 with the u shaped shift pattern as well. my brother has a 70 with this along with the buick 350. it's fun trying to tell the parts guys that the buick is the stock engine when they keep asking what was originally in it.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mangler,
You have yourself a Dana 20, all the FSJ's with the T-18's came with the U-shaped shift patterns. I have seen them in the J series trucks and the wagoneer(not as common though). Does the T-18 have a long output shaft??

Peanut

· Registered
328 Posts
I think Peanut is right. My ' 72 Commando had a 258, T-18, and U-shaped transfer case shift pattern. It was sloppy and very hard to find the gears, too.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

· Registered
328 Posts
I don't think the shift pattern would affect the Terr Lo issue. Just make sure you know what transfer case you have.

· Registered
485 Posts
From what I have read...if reverse is down by fourth then it is at least a 79. 78 and before had reverse up by third. If it was from
a CJ then it would hve to be 79 since that was the last year the t18 was an option. Since it is out of a J truck then it could be a 79,
80 or 81. It maybe later but I am not sure when they stopped offering a t18. Just a bit of info...

Alec

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kevin, while the trannys being rebuilt are you putting the shorter input shaft in and going to the cj bellhousing. If you are that transfer case lever is going to be right up against the firewall. This is assuming that it's going in a cj.
Bob

· Registered
328 Posts
I think you can adjust the position of the shifter on the shaft (piece of pipe?) it is mounted on. Just loosen the bolts that hold it on and slide it back. You may have to shorten the pipe. The shift rods may also be a problem. Anybody know?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the rods have extensions on them but I can't remember if you can still use the shifter box. I did the same thing once with a T-18 out of a Wagoneer but I just used the Dana 20 out of the CJ.
Bob

· Registered
267 Posts
I'm pretty sure my Dad's '68 Commando Jeepster has that. It has the 3 speed with the buick V6 if that helps.
Tas
'89 YJ I6, 5-speed, Flowmaster, Euro tallights.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.