Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 86 wagoner .its got a 4.2 auto trans and locking hubs,what transmision was used in this vehicle ,a 727 or a 999 . if its a 727 will it bolt on to my cj7 dana 300 tcase with out any mods!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
usually the V8 wags had TF727, I think the 6 cyl wags had 904s normally.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I look at that page it was good .But I dont .(hate to admit.}have any lift so I think the front shaft would hit the trans ,how much clearance do you have , Also is it the same length a 999 . thanks!

have a cold one!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
maybe the 6 cyl had 999 or 998 I dont think they came with 727 though, it was a slightly less trans.

OzarkJeep

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
There were Wagoneers offered with the 6cyl and 727. You are right though, you will not have enough clearance. I raised my engine/tranny 1.5" and the front shaft barely clears with the stock springs. I am doing a SOA lift so I won't have any problems. Without any lift the 727 probably won't work.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
All 6 cyl wags had 727 or just some Tom?

I thought i read somewhere they normally had smaller Torqueflights?

OzarkJeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input , I will just look around for a 999 , that would be the easyist way , I like to { Keep it simple stuipd }or K.I.S.S

have a cold one!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to jack this wagg off its belly and i.d it's a 2 door laredo so could have the 904 , does the pan look any differnt than the 999

have a cold one!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
While you're under there get scrape the gunk off the machined edge of the transmission case below the shifting shaft and above the pan. That's the transmission number... none of the others do any good.

On that flat surface you'll find a number stamped into the side. Copy down the number and take it to D/C to the parts counter. The parts guy can run the number and tell you if it's a 904 or 999. The 904/999 pans are the same, the 727 is different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts