Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of things should I look for in a jeep Cherokee. I'm going to go buy a used one 88' - 99' and I wanted to know if I should look for specific things for the jeep. Why I really wanna do with the jeep it take it out mudding or to the sand dunes. So is there things I should look for. Thanks for the help.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Decide if you want an auto or a stick and if you want an i6 or a 4banger.
My choice would be an i6 in any case.
The early 5-speeds until '88 were the BA10 gearboxes. Avoid them.
The open cooling systems are overheated many times, so check if the engine blows oil in the airfilter
The early XJ's had the renix system. This system works fine, but has a lot of vac lines and an EGR. Later XJ's had less complicated systems.
Check the rear axle. Especially the Dana35. They cannot have a lot of abuse. Some XJ's have a Dana 44, (tow package) some (without ABS) the Chrysler 8.25.
Hubs with a lot of play can be pricy.
Check the front left framrail for cracks between the steeringhouse and trackbar mount.

Maybe someone else knows what I'm forgetting.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decide if you want an auto or a stick and if you want an i6 or a 4banger.
My choice would be an i6 in any case.
The early 5-speeds until '88 were the BA10 gearboxes. Avoid them.
The open cooling systems are overheated many times, so check if the engine blows oil in the airfilter
The early XJ's had the renix system. This system works fine, but has a lot of vac lines and an EGR. Later XJ's had less complicated systems.
Check the rear axle. Especially the Dana35. They cannot have a lot of abuse. Some XJ's have a Dana 44, (tow package) some (without ABS) the Chrysler 8.25.
Hubs with a lot of play can be pricy.
Check the front left framrail for cracks between the steeringhouse and trackbar mount.

Maybe someone else knows what I'm forgetting.
Ok how do I ID what kind of axle it is?? Hubs???
Sorry I'm new at this.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Yucca-Man: Jeep Gearing
Rear axle ID. The diamond shaped D44 is rather rare. The D35 and Chrysler 8.25 look quite similar, but the 8.25 has a flat bottom. This would be my choice.

Hubs are the part of the front wheels on the axle in which the bearings are seated. In most cases the bearings cannot be changed separately, but you replace the complete hub.

Ask more if I went too fast.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have another question?? when riders go off roading or rock climbing. so they just lift the jeep... or what do you need to upgrade, buy... in order to make it be able to climb and what not??? for example where one side of the axle is up high and the other is low... like this pic

· Registered
2,769 Posts
It all depends on how high you want to lift and what size your wallet is. Please try the search. There's a ton of info about lifting and the price/technique stages. It will cost me half a day mentioning alle options and consequences/(im)possibilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.