Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently driving a 97 TJ as my daily driver. About a year ago, I bought for my teenage daughter a fixer upper 1979 CJ-7. Concentrating on getting it on the road we put in a new gas tank, weber carb and rebuilt the t-150 tranny. We also put on american racing wheels, new tires, nerf bars, new bestop, a ruenk front bumper that we scrounged up. THEN we find a can't pass up deal on a friends car which we get for the daughter, leaving me with my very own jeep project. I ditched the idea for a fancy paint job and put on rattle can olive drab and have used the jeep as a back up beat around town jeep. It still needs, unfortunately, the engine rebuilt, the front end redone, shock, springs, dash work etc.. THE QUESTION ??? Should I go ahead and fix alittle at a time as money allows or tear down to frame and start with a total redo. money is tight (isn't it always) My skills are moderate, and I do have a garage to work in. The steering column is currently messed up now, so I have to replace it or start tearing down. Frame and body are pretty good, I'm wanting a simple, moderately modified off-road rig that can double for street duty. thanks steven.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Generally frame off restos turn into long, drawn out projects, just ask several of the guys that use this board about theirs. Since the frame and body are OK, I see little benefit in a total rebuild. Make a list of what needs fixing or upgrading, then prioritize. It's easier that way, and you will be able to use the Jeep as you go along.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'd have to say prioritize and fix what needs fixing. Save the resto for when you have the time & money...they never go as quickly or cheaply as you plan for them to. You'll always find that last little cool mod or trinket that you must have. A resto project is time consuming, expensive, and can put a strain on your marriage (I'm right at my limit with my wife). Take this fix up time to learn how to do things and do research for when resto time comes around.

Addendum: My project is a prime example of thinking you're just gonna put it together for a couple thousand bucks and then getting swept away in "Do it once and do it right...you'll probably never get to do it again." At last estimation I had blown about $16k and still have stuff to buy...then I got a wild hair in my arse when I got "the deal of a lifetime" on a Scrambler (that's the one in the pic to the left if you have your viewing option turned on) and have dis-assembled the project Jeep to build up the Scrambler as my porject Jeep instead...that's what put my wife at her absolute limit. I ain't gonna remind her that I plan to restore my other Jeep in 2001 /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
if you like that '79 CJ, and your having a good time fixing it as you go, i would continue it that way. i believe half of Jeepin is rebuilds/repairs and upgrades. i enjoy the process of projects myself, the planning/research, trial and error, and satisfaction of getting it done, irregardless of low buck/high dollar or if you have to farm out some of the work/buy new parts/or dig around the junk yards.

the path is far more important than the destination/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

3/4tonYJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Steven here is my 2 cents worth. I too own a 1979 CJ7 that I bought to do a frame up restoration on. I figured "what the hell maybe I'll spend a few thousand dollars," Right? Well, when you tear apart a 21 year old jeep you realize that EVERYTHING needs work. So if you want to give it a spin I'll give you my up to date progress. Rebuilt the rear axle, all new rear brake hardware and wheel cylinders, rebuilt differential, new gas tank, new tank skid plate, all new brake lines and master cylinder, all new fuel lines, stripped the frame and 5 coats por-15 plus 2 coats chassis coat, rebilt rear driveshaft with new u-joints, new feul tank sending unit, rebuilt front diff, steering knuckles, all restored front disc brake hardware, new front axle u-joints, warn 9000i winch, new rancho leaf springs all around, sway bar disconnects, new steering shaft, new steering gear, rebuilt 304 V8 with new alternator, starter, fuel pump, valve covers and rebuilt carb, new exhaust system...etc etc..the list goes on to the tune of about $12,000.00. So, if you want a project that is totally yours, go for it. I couldn't name half the parts on my jeep when I started, now I could put the thing back together in my sleep thanks to trial and error and the REALLY good folks on this board. Is it worth it? Hell yes! Hope I didn't bore you to tears but I think I hear my garage calling me...I got some parts to clean.
all the best
sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all of you for the advice I think I enjoy and fix for a while. I wish I hadnt fixed the t150, at the time it was for my daughter, I should have listened to her, however, she'd wanted a five speed. I know about the bucks, I bought the jeep for 800, mainly for a pretty good body, but have already spent close to 5k on it. Hope to have a webpage someday, love both my jeeps. also thanks for writing jeepskate, I've been following your progress, cj8's are cool again thanks to all, look forward to learning from all of you steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fix as you go. Even if you tear down & take 5 years rebuilding, you'll end up breaking stuff once it's done & then you're right back to "fix as you go" - although the effect will be lessened.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.