Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a 95 YJ with some mild mods on it. It is the Rio Grande with a 4 banger, I've added a lock-rite in the rear, a 2" BDS lift and some 31" AT's so far. There is also various little things like a red top Optima, K&N filter, lockable storage boxes and a stereo with CD changer.
Future mods include a Ford 8.8 rear with LSD, 4.88 gears, front lock-rite,1" body lift, TJ flairs, and I'm building a bumper with tire carrier. So it's coming together nicely.....
Now on Saturday my wife asks about trading it in on a Y2K TJ Sport..... I get a 6 cylinder, D44 with trac-loc, A/C, she wants an auto, it will clear 31's easily..... all for about $100 more per month for about 5 years. The YJ would be paid off by next Christmas or so.
I'm really torn here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would stick with the YJ....100 bucks a month for 5 years....hmmmm thats 6000 bucks(hope thats right)!!!!!! Think of what you could do to your YJ with all that money!!!! The TJ's are Awesome, three guys I wheel with have them...but no car payments and 100 bucks less a month has got to be better than a TJ, plus you already have a nice rear axle, a nice lift, and lots of other goodies. IMHO stick with the YJ.

absolutjeep

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It's always rough ........like many things that we did in our youth......ya get so far up one tree ......and then you kinda wonder if you want to change direction. You gotta think of all the time that you've put into the YJ ........and how much ground will you want to retrace on the TJ??? .......you'll never get your money's worth out of the trade. If this was just for you ........I'd say no.........but you mentioned your wife........ Now you may have figured out that woman rule their men .........either through suduction or antagonism ........(they either please you so much - you can't say no/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.....or they make your life miserable if they don't get what they want/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif) .......usually a mixture of both......that is, if you don't have a happy wife........you won't be a happy man.....bottom line.
Excersize some diplomacy.........say, "dear .......we really shouldn't take on more debt .......we're just one year from paying this off .......then we'll look for one JUST FOR YOU w/auto and air (and D44, 4.0, and anything else the YOU really want on it)/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

GeeAea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee- She actually wants a Grand Cherokee. She realizes that this would put this further back, there's no way I'm willing to make more than one car payment at a time- BTDT/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif. As for the mods to the YJ, there aren't that many yet that I'd be worried about the trade in value.... I'll probably pull the lock-rite and pass it along to a fellow club member for the $100 I paid for it. Sure the extra 4 years of payments wouldn't be something to look forward to, but.............
This is the type of thing that I hate having to think about. Makes my brain hurt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey John, go for the TJ... if she'll let you make mods... I have a friend that used to sell Jeeps (in Valencia) and he swore that the dealers only have a few 100 dollars profit, so they won't deal (much). He's a good guy, and I believe him 100%... What about leasing it for 2 years to keep your payments the same, and then buying it outright?

Personally, I'd go for the 6 and additional $ out of pocket... in the long run, the TJ will be a better deal... but can you live with that plush ride, clean interior, and even, possible, AC and a HARDTOP? with power?

Jon-YJ94
I6, 3.5" Black Diamond, MORE, & more
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I dont know if this will help making up your mind but it is good info...

The Dana44 option has been dropped for the New TJ's about two weeks ago. The only chance you have of finding one is on a dealers lot NOW. No more will be produced.

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif OK....here's the plan. (1) you keep the YJ....just add air to it for about 600 and sumpin' bucks. (2)You SAVE up for that Grand, and buy it outright. You will pay FAR less for the grand that way, and for that matter, there are some nice used Grands here in CA....NO RUST, and NEVER been off the pavement. Spending dough you haven't made yet is the best way in the world to stay broke and deep in debt. All you need to do is find a way to get your honey to think that this was HER idea. After that, it's all downhill./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust think of how good it will feel when you have that first five G's in the old savings account./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Hey....do I sound like Larry Burkett?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, just to clarify a few things......... If I get the TJ I plan and execute the mods I want, just like on the YJ. I'm not that worried about her getting a Grand in the future, even with the TJ it won't be more than 3-4 years. And I hadn't considered this since my plan was to pay of the YJ and get her what she wanted. She's just willing to sacrifice a little so I get "more" Jeep for daily driving and wheeling. Of course, since she refuses to drive the 5 speed there may be plans for her to "borrow" the TJ from time to time.
This is purely a personal (meaning me only) decision at this point.......just thought I'd seek the advise of the board like with all Jeep decisions./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.