Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am working on the cooling/heating system (new fan (electric?), a few new hoses, new coolant, GM heater motor, etc.) I am faced with purchasing a new thermostat. I searched the board and didn't find any posts that addressed this concern, so I'm turning it out to you all. I want the engine to be nice and warm in the winter, but not overheating in the summer... What temp thermostat would you all reccomend? Do "cooler" thermostats result in better performance, or do "warmer" thermostats result in better efficiency? Are there any general guidelines for thermostat selection? Do any of the CJXperts on the board know any special tricks for 304 thermostats (i.e., CJDave's thoughts on drilling a hole in Chevy 350 thermostats). Thanks in advance.
Deano

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
My opinion is a 195 #1 because it's winter and you want heat.
#2 thats what the engine was designed to have as an operating temp.
Summertime you can drop it a little but I don't like 160's unless it's 90 outside. A 160 can even cause other problems(like not letting a choke open all the way).Go 195/winter-180/summer & it'll do just fine.
If you want to drill a hole , just make sure it's a SMALL one1/16 or you'll let too much water bypass the thermostat. It's only to let any trapped air by.
One more thing (!!!!!!!!!) Make sure you buy a good high dollar one.No discount store stuff on this part.

Hope this helps.

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
You should install the same temperature thermostat as the one you removed from the engine and don't change it due to the seasons. If it was a 195; keep it that way. In the winter, the engine operating temp must be high enough to evaporate the water condensation that forms in the crankcase as the engine cools. In the summertime, the operating temperature must remain high to get more efficiency out of the radiator. Heat will transfer faster from 195 deg. fluid to the air thru the radiator than from fluid at 180 or 160 deg will. If you are experiencing overheating problems, installing a thermostat with a lower setting will not help. The solution for that is either in the airflow thru the radiator or waterflow thru the engine. Good Luck!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, even without a radiator shroud and with a stock fan, it doesn't overheat in the summer. It also doesn't heat up in the winter. I'm not certain what temp thermostat it has in it currently, but I'm reasonably certain that it isn't stock. The previous owner didn't have a top, and only drove it in the summer. I'd rather pick one thermostat and leave it in year-round. If I am going to do this, what temp should I go with? 195 or 180?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif This modern stuff is designed to run hot as all get-out so it will burn cleaner and use the fuel better. 195 should be fine, and don't forget a small hole to vent the air and get a teensy bit of flow by the bulb so it will open right on the exact temp and not higher. With hotter thermostats the hole is even more important, especially in them shev-lays./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Dirt Dog.....I'm going to arm-wrestle you for another 1/32", making it a minumum of 3/32" diameter hole. We WANT water to flow by so's the bub knows wot temp it is./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I can't stress this enough./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif....but I DO agree whole-heartedly on the need for a QUALITY thermostat.....a cheapie cost me a darn good 5.7 GM diesel once./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning to change my stat tonight. Where do you drill the hole. Currently have according to my new temp gauge a 160. I now have a new 195 for my 4.0.Supposed to get into the 20's tonight in N. Fl.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Drill on the flat, a litle bit away from where it curves up to the opening./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
My arms up Dave LETS GO/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
3/32 I'll give you , I just didn't want to see a 1/4 hole drilled in one.
BTW I don't change thermostats it's 195 all year.
I just know lots of people are running too close to the edge (plugged rad. , bad fan , too much advance , bla,bla,bla) that lots change for the real hot months. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifDave you're going to have to spot me a little on the armwrestle since you passed your #1000th post/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.....Congrats!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif OK Dirt Dog.....but I have to warn you I have junk yard experience as well/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif....heh heh.....worked in a wrecking yard all through high skool/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif on weekends, and during the summer (in between baling hay and irrigating)/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifwhile the regular junkies were on vacation. We had about 2500 vehicles.....no particular order....no particular make...from fire trucks to Morris Minors. It was great/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif...I built a nice Pontiac/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ENTIRELY from the yard. Always watched for good stuff, especially truck stuff/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.giflike a good Brownie/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif or a winch, or a wet kit. Got a dandy GMC six by six there. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
OK Dave but I'm too young to know what a morris minor is/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif.
Did'nt Fred Flintstone have one of those that he used to stop with his feet?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Too bad you don't sound like you're ever in this end of the country.....I'd love to have lunch , Hell I might even buy./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put in a quality 192-195 degree thermostat (with a CJDave approved hole), flushed the coolant and replaced it, slapped on a fan clutch (as a temporary measure, just until I have the funds for a serious electric fan--wouldn't want to offend CJDave by running up those credit cards) and crafted a homemade winterfront. Whew! She warms right up now!!! Now if I could only get that defrost duct figured out...Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
A Morris Minor was a noted British car from the 1950s/early 1960s. I have a friend, electrician by trade, who bought one from his church's minister for $50 in 1963, when he was out of work. He had it for 3 years,and sold it for $300 to a collector. My friend said the you could fix that thing with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and it was extremely reliable. The Minor has a cult following now; kind of like a VW Beetle. The man who designed it later designed the Mini, the car that Mr. Bean drives on the TV show/movie. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif I know this sounds crazy/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif, and our friends never tire of reminding us that we live in an idyllic mountain paradise,.....but Jeepchick and I are making plans to move to Middle America as soon as Jeepchick's career is over (5/2001). We will be living in.....get this for a name......Libertyville.....Iowa. The political/moral situation out here on the **** coast is just getting a little too much like Soddom and Gomorrah, and as you know, when God sends "rain" (in this case an earthquake), it rains on the just and the unjust. We would rather not be here when God's patience is exhausted. We would rather watch it on the evening news....BLUB!......oops, wot happened to Hollywood? where's San Francisco? So you see DD, we WILL be neighbors......and I'll expect a good deal on salvage items! heh heh. One thing about it, our SNOJEEP will fit right in.

CJDave

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hold on now there gents! British cars and "extremely reliable"?? ...just don't go together, guys. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Fixing British cars with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers (or more accurately, always needing to carry those 2 items, and a few others, and using them frequently on said car), I'll agree with. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and Minis are way cool!

Pete
70 E-type Jag

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Heh heh....you have it about right....back in sixty-something...maybe '67....I thought I wanted an E-Jag. A buddy of mine got the idea too, and he zoomed right out and bought a used '65. When he brought it over to gloat, he left it running and it pumped about a quart of oil out in the underground parking garage of my apt. I bought a new MGB ('67) instead. It was actually a very reliable car. I put AIR CONDITIONING in it...my first ever A/C system. My buddy dumped the Jag and got an Austin Mini Cooper. It had ash trays for wheels./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
That friend of mine may have been looking thru rose colored glasses concerning the Minor but that is how it was related to me. There is a nice article in the current issue of C&D about the 40th anniversary of the Mini that you might enjoy./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I don't have any first hand experience with British cars. However, I do have a cousin out in Seattle who has a 1974 Series 3 Land Rover 88, bought new, that he is quite proud of. BTW, he likes Jeeps,too! /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Actually, those Minors were OK as long as the Lucas generator was working./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.