Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of putting OME springs in the back of my YJ to level it out after the Shackle Reversal is completed. However, springs with more arch require a longer shackle to fully cycle and prevent from kinking the spring.... I am trying to get the MINIMUM amount of extra lift from this shackle! The front is only going up by 2", and the OME springs are rated at a 2.5" lift (I may need a longer front shackle to level things out when its all said an done /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif.) Would a "boomerang" shackle give less lift while allowing for more movement? BTW, I will be using extended SS brakelines intended for Full-Traction's 5" lift kit, since my stock suspenion will max out the shocks and brake lines once the sway and track bars are removed.

G

·
cHECK out the SFI hypershackles. Look at Leon Rosser's jeep page and go to shackles. They come in different sizes depending on if you want to lift your jeep or not. They will allow for a lot of movement. I run them on the rear of my 89 YJ.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You don't necessarily need a longer shackle, it may do more harm. MOST lift springs are basically like stock spring with extra arch...that is, the spring packs aren't any longer than the stock ones. This is most noticeable on 4" lifts where you'll often see the shackles angled in the wrong direction. A typical boomerang shackle that gives around 1/2" of lift should work fine for you.

G

·
Careful with the OME... it says 2.5" lift, but it tends to provide around 2" of actual "lift" over stock....

In the same vein:

I'm trying to figure out how to do a shackle reversal up front, as well, keeping my 3.5" lift, but still maintain a level appearance... (that is: I don't want my ASH sagging)... ideas?

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
MORE's standard kit (non buggy leaf) uses sleeves in the frame for the upper shackle pivot rather than brackets bolted to the underside of the frame rails like most kits. It doesn't give any lift (or at least negligible lift).

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I can't afford the SFI shackles...and if I could I would just save up more for Revolvers. My factory YJ springs are flat, OME springs are arched, thus when they flex and flatten out they become longer where my stock springs would become shorter- hence the need for longer shackles. I'm actually glad to hear they actually only lift the vehichle 2" instead of 2.5. I guess this means I can use 1" longer than stock shackles on all 4 springs and get a true 2.5" of lift and allow everything to cycle properly. I know the MORE kit wont give more than 1" of lift, but I chose the Full-Traction kit because it lifts the Jeep 2" and is bolt on (but heck I'm going to weld it too anyhow.) /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The arched versus flat doesn't mean anything. Measure the springs from eye-to-eye through the length of the spring (not across the mouth of the arch). Typically, YJ springs are around 51" or 52" inches if memory serves regardless of the amount of arch, Old Man Emu may be different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.