Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run 20-11-9 Holeshots. Im pretty happy with them. They seem to slide really well. I like them on hard pack.

In sand they dont hook up so well till about 4th gear. I have some cheap paddles, i think they are the Cheng Shin Dune Sliders (V shape). They vibrate so bad, they give me a head ache, due to the low frequency they produce, and are no fun at all. Some one suggested to me to get the paddles synched on the rims so that the paddles hit at the same time....left to right. I looked, and mine are way off from being synchronized. Is this the vibration problem, or do i just have some cheap, trashy, not worth my time type of paddles?

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a set of those paddles. I don't remember any vibration but never liked the hook-up. I unloaded them and now run Sand Skate II's all all out Banshees. MUCH better!!!! If you like to slide and are not a drag racer, get a set today!

For dirt I'm still running the stock rubber. Still haven't worn them out.

BansheeMan </font color=green>/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleartoy:
I dont get to play in the sand all that often.... for regular trail riding, sand pits, ect I run 22x11x10 SurTracs. They hook up very very well and slide great too. I have a few sets of paddles, The Dune hoppers(straight paddles). They do vibrate on hard pack but I never had that problem in sand. I also have a set of Big Als and they are a very soft paddle straight paddle. I never had that problem with those either. Right now I am in the market for a set of 22x11x10 10 paddle haulers. Getting them sync'd is important for traction and vibration. I would think that having them off center from each other would cut down on vibration since they are hitting the ground at a diff time from the other side. Maybe I am wrong but thats how I would see it. The only time I would get that vibration is when riding w/ paddles on hardpack. I agree with the other post also.... get a set of Sand SkateII's if you want great traction with sliding abilitys. I hope this helps

good luck
walter
88Banshee370
95 Dodge Ram 4x4
99 Quadbuddy
http://members.xoom.com/banshee370/
http://www.kandkatv.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys, for all the insight. Seems like the Skate 2's are the unanimous favorite.

So to the people that run 22" rear tires, how do you like them? Is the center of gravity too high? Sometimes, id like more ground clearance in the back.

Hopefully going out riding for spring break. My girl and i just bought an'00 CR80 for her to ride.

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleartoy:
I have only used 22" tall rears.... I went from 9" rims to 10" rims, and havent looked back. I think my bike would rev out to fast w/ 20's or 21's, even with 15-42 gearing(sometimes 16-42) I never felt that my center of gravity was too high, but now thats deffinatly not a problem since I got a set of TCS sag control series shocks.
I think the sand skateII's are a wise choice if you like to play in the sand...
good luck
walter

Banshee370(connecticut)
88 banshee
99 quadbuddy
95 Ram 4x4SLT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You must ride in the flats quite a bit. In the sand, i typically run 4th-5th gear on moderate to very steep sand dune hills! Only time i use 6th gear is in bowls, long straight aways, and down hills. And it is rare!

Glad to hear your testimony though.

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleartoy: I live in connecticut (no such thing as dunes out here) and I dont get to the dunes that often. I mostly trail ride or screw around in a sand/gravel pit. Every once and a while I get to open it up but not all that often. I have never had any problems in tight trails..... matter of fact 2 years ago I rode a trail that was for a 4x4 quad only(sucked) for 26 miles. I never got out of 1st or 2nd gear the whole time(trees, mud, huge rocks) It was obviously not a trail for a banshee. I didnt have any problems what so ever. Out here in New England we have nothing but rocks so I need the height of the 22" tires.
Where abouts are you from? I still wish I could talk the wife into moving!

walter

Banshee370(connecticut)
88 banshee
99 quadbuddy
95 Ram 4x4SLT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in Southern California.

Ive taken my Banshee to Arizona and theres alot of rocks over there. Ive made the decision not to take it there again unless i get the 23" fronts and 22" rears for more clearance. Im running the DG full chassis skidplate and the swingarm plate as well. Its pretty gnarly to look at the bottom of the plates after i get home and see all the gouges and scrapes and scars.

Talk to ya soon. Gotta take the girlfriend out today and teach her to ride her CR80 today.

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I currently have the stock tires on my banshee, and was getting ready to ask what tires people run until I saw this thread. I live in Maine, and mostly ride in rocky, muddy, tight trails where Im lucy to hit 3rd once in a while. My stock tires are still brand new looking, and I hate to change them before they go bald, but they really suck, in my opinion.

I bought my wife a scrambler 400 4x4 friday, and took her for a ride saturday. She kicked my ass up and down the whole trail, and never once got stuck. I had to pull mine through 3 mud holes by dragging it, and was covered from head to toe. Needles to say, I was kicking myself for forgetting a strap...

Either way, she had 4wd. I took her riding again yesterday with my buddy who has a new 400EX. He also kicked my but down snow covered trails and through some mud holes. I'm assuming thats because the stock honda tires seem to be a little more aggressive than the banshee's.

I realize I bought the wrong machine for this type of riding, but I dont mind the stiff throttle, excessive clutchwork, and bottem end bog. A wide open blast through 4th more than makes up for it. What's getting me is the traction issues.

I want to try something like a 22" holeshot XTC. I hear they are pretty good for all around traction. Im worried about about losing what little low end torque I have.

What Im wondering, is if anyone has a recommendation for a 22" tires that will work good for this type of riding. Also, would changing the front/rear sprockets get me back a noticable amount of bottem end grunt, if not more than I have now? Im not all that concerend with top end, as I hardly ever had it pegged in 6th anyways.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can change the sprockets to equal, have lower or higher gearing than stock with 22" tires.

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Larsonator: from what I have read in your post... I dont think that the holeshots would be the best tire for you. I would go with a tire that is a little more agressive. I personally run the Maxxis SurTracs 22x11x10 and I have had great luck with them. I dont ride in as much mud if at all anymore but I still like them for all around riding. I broke my motor in 2 winters ago with those tires and I didnt have any problems in snow. I could actually pull the front wheels off the ground for 2 gears in 4-6" of snow. I dont remember what the stock gearing is on a banshee, I think its 14-42. If I was you I would drop a tooth on the front sprocket and maybe add a few to the rear. That will help that low end alot
good luck
walter

88 Banshee370(connecticut)
95 Ram 4x4SLT
99 quadbuddy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks for the input guys. Something like the SurTracs is probably better choice for me. I was worried about them hooking too much and bogging the bike down. I doubt that should really be a concern, especially if I gear it down a little. A friend of mine was also telling me how he had this really nasty set of tires, and they would always grab so much that they would dig two quick holes and burry himself. Then again, that was on something like an old 200x. He was the one who had the holeshots, but on a 250R, and said they worked good for him. I think I'll try the SurTracs and start with dropping a tooth off the front, and see how it goes. Out of curiosity, what is better about the 10" rim?

Hey Cleartoy, did you ever notice a difference with the boost bottle?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rode out at Ocotillo Wells yesterday. First time having the Banshee out at that spot. It was windier than a mother out there.

To the point....no, i didnt notice a difference. I want to ride at my normal spot with no wind, and reevaluate it.

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Larsonator: I think thats a good price.... try rocky mountian atv also... I got mine a few yrs ago and I dont remember what i paid. I personally like the 10" rims cause you get less sidewall flex. Its a little stiffer of a ride but makes for easier sliding and more predictable sliding.
Cleartoy; I never did notice any diff when I added the boost bottle on mine, but I have noticed on the new pro-design intakes the boost bottle that comes with there kit is huge! its at least twice the size of the normal boost bottles you can buy seperatly. I wonder why......?? kinda odd i think.

Banshee370(connecticut)
88 banshee
99 quadbuddy
95 Ram 4x4SLT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quite possibly the sickest tire i have ever seen is the Goodyear Tracker P. i don't think you want them on the back of a banshee, but i figured i'd throw it out in the open. go take a look at them on the goodyear site. never seen them get stuck. ever.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RAZORs there is no substitute 3rd gear hole shot stand it on the grab bar in the sand mud rocks pee gravel we have it all and ride it all they even cross rut mud holes without fallin in.20x11x9 6 ply dont buy a tire to heavy or you will not be happy even with gearing it is not the same as running 20s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts