Off Roading Forums banner

what master cyl to use with 10.25 and twin pistons

420 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Shilo 
#1 ·
which master cylinder should i use with my 78 ford dana 44 hd stuff that has the twin piston calipers, and for the larger 10.25 wheel cylinders.
3/4 ton or 1 ton, and what should the bore size be?
there are 3 avail for the 3/4 ton for 92, wich one should i choose, 2 are for the under 7,000LB truck i believe, and the tird is for the other truck(HD i believe)

also, can i get away just using the new bigger master on my 1/2 ton brake booster, or do i have to upgrade?
if so, can i use the master and brake booster off of a 88F250 deisel that i have laying aorund that ive been stealing parts off of. thanks for the info, and shilo, im wanting to read the book your gonna write on this topic, so please do reply.

#2 ·
Both the F250 and F350 used the Dayton calipers. The 10.25 was also used in both F250's and F350's. The F250LD used a semi-floater and the F250 HD used the full floater. I would go with the F250 (under 7000) master and your same booster. If you went with the 1 ton or F250HD master and/or booster you would have too much brake for the weight of your truck.

G
#3 ·
I first installed my 10.25 w/stock mc and no probs. I later upgraded to the 1t mc because my stocker was tired (perfect time to upgrade). I did the booster at the same time, 1t booster that is. Then the D60 front. All I can say is braking is fine, before and after the D60 front. The upgrade to the 1t stuff was a noticeable improvement. Brian S's page has all the details, incl pics of the two boosters side by side.

The 1/2t mc's are 1 1/16", the 3/4 and 1ts are 1 1/8".

Honestly, you can probably use whatever combo you want. I bet even bone stock will work ok with your larger axles, the bigger stuff will just be an improvement. If you think the mc on your parts truck is fine, go for it I guess. If you buy a new one, buy a quality one - trust me. NO rebuilds. You can get a new Bendix thru partsamerica.com for around $130. Seems steep but it beats bleeding the brakes every week when your lifetime warranty rebuild starts leaking. My rebuilt booster seems ok, tho.

#4 ·
also, are my stock style brake lines gonna bolt up to the dayton calipers? if not, are there any adapters avail through parts stores to get it to work, since i have a lot of cash in these lines that arent 8 months old.

#5 ·
That I couldn't tell ya. I would assume that F250 brake lines would mount to the frame in the same location as the F150, but that doesn't help your situation since it would require buying new lines anyway. Sorry bro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.