Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an earlier post on this, what is it? Cutting off lugs from the tire making bigger voids???

Kevin Low
84 CJ7
SE Michigan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You don't cut any lugs out. It is basically cutting lots of slices in the lugs perpendicular to the rotation of the tire. It creates lots of biting edges and works really well in snow and ice. I have my tires on my F250 siped for pulling snowmobiles around a lot and not only has it greatly helped traction with a big trailer behind, but I get a lot more miles out of a set of tires. My first set (original tires) only lasted 23,000 miles. I have 24,000 on the second set and have over half the tread left.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Re: tire siping?

How deep do you cut? Is it just a cut or is it notched out? Just use a razor blade or utility knife? And I've heard you should just do the inside lugs... true?
Thanks

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: tire siping?

The tire store did mine. They have a machine and it took about 10 minutes per tire once set up. You can buy a heated tire groover but it's gonna take you a while. The tire shop set it up so that the outside row of lugs didn't get touched.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.