Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok most of you that are on this bbs all the time probably know that my starter went and I had to replace it but it was making noises. Well, I figured out that it was not catching the flywheel, i think that's what it's called, right, so I put to Z shims in and walla. Well when I was looking at the starter from the passenger side outside, looking down towards the starter, I noticed a tube coming out of the firewall that wasn't connected to anything. I looked and the closet thing I saw next to it was the intake manifold I believe. I thought it might be the problem for my ac. My compressor works and I can hear air moving but it is barely coming through the vents into the jeep. I turned ont the AC and I felt cool air coming out of this mysterious tube. I tried to look though my Haynes but didn't find anything. Can someone with an 2.8L XJ please stand on the passenger side of the jeep looking down towards the starter. There is a black tube coming out of the firewall down almost by the starter. Can you see where it goes and report back. If you already know what I am talking about don't bother checking your car. I thought tracing it would be easy though. Thanks a lot.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Perhaps it is the condensation tube? You know how cars are always leaking water that condeses on parts of the AC system.... This could be the drain tube for that.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
No, the drian line is for water that condenses out on the a/c coil. It should be flattened at the end opposite from the fire wall./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I confused you. Air does come out of it. And it isn't flush it hangs out like 4 inches. Sorry if I mislead ya.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
OK, Jeff, I'm going out to the Cherokee to take a peek.......I'll let you know what I find./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
OK, the large tube coming from the firewall down low is the a/c drain line. Up high on the passenger side of the firewall, there are the 2 heater hoses about 1 inch in diameter and the 2 metal tubes are the a/c freon lines. Above them are two small vacuum lines.

The 2 small tubes are the vacuum lines for the heat, vent, defrost controls on the dashboard. One is black, the other is pink. The pink goes to the valve on one of the heater hoses and the black goes to the cans (vacuum reservoir) mounted on top of the passenger side wheel well behind the battery. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok you were right it is the lower tube meaning it is the drain line. Here is the deal though
1. The compressor works and so does the blower
2. I can hear the air but it isn't coming into the cabin

Any ideas what I can do to check, where are the vacuum hoses that run into the cabin so I can check for leaks in those? Or anything else I can do? P.S. sorry I changed the topic so quick and didn't make a new post.

Jeff

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check the vacuum lines that run out of the firewall by your a/c lines. Make sure they are all connected because these supply vacuum to switch the vent positions. Also, try to check them on the inside of the cabin, but this will likely require removing the lower instrument panel and console. Also, while down there, check the evaporator housing for leaks and also check that the cable that controls the air mix door, on the lower left side of the evaporator housing, is attached and working properly. If you can't figure it out, you might try the bbs on http://www.aircondition.com. A lot of the people on here are professional auto a/c techs and know a lot about how these systems work. Good luck!

1987 Cherokee 4.0L
200,000+ miles and still going...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I'm no professional -- I don't have it, but do you still have any freon, or R-134a, or whatever your refrigerant is??

If I didn't have a Jeep, I wouldn't have a life.

'88 MJ SporTruck
Rebuilt 2.5L: 40 over rings, 10 on crank, 10 on bearings
nearing 400K

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't have any R-12 freon and I am no professional either, I have just had a lot of experience with the a/c on my Cherokee the past 2 years. As for the new stuff, R-134, you can buy it at the local auto parts store, but don't try to mix it with the old R-12, and don't try to charge it yourself without a complete gauge set, that is a high side and low side gauge. I learned the hard way on that. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

1987 Cherokee 4.0L
200,000 miles and still going...

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
OK, you said that you can hear the fan running but no air flow coming out the dash vents, in any switch position (max a/c, a/c, bilevel, vent, heat and defrost).

Is there air coming out the defroster vents on top of the dash near the windshield? How about the heater vent, which is behind the transmission shifter and it blows on the driver feet and out the rear center console to the back seat?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
actually i realized that if i put it on vent than on ac a little air comes out, but not even close to the amount it should. A little comes out of every option through the vent. I don't know why it is not all coming out maybe I have a leak to the hoses that go to the cabin. Could this be it?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Remember the question you asked last night about the thing above the passenger side feet well? I replied that it is where the a/c and heater coils were.

Well, in there is a vacuum motor the controls where the air is allowed to go, depending on the selector switch. You have a Haynes manual....look it up in the chapter on a/c and it will tell you how to get to it and then you can check it out (there are also diagrams and drawings). It sounds like the vacuum motor is stuck or leaking so badly that it won't open the dampers to the vents. Good Luck!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts