Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start a project. how could I get it certified as a 73 or older CJ7? Would I have to have a 73 or older CJ7 tub or could I get just the frame and buy a fiberglass tub. I know plenty of people must have delt with this before me so thanks for any help that could be provided. If not a 73 or older CJ7 I would like a '87 YJ with frame, dash, windshild, and tub of course. I might consider whatever tub/frame is avalible if the price is right. I'm in SoCal
later
Tas
'89 YJ
[email protected]

G

·
My understanding is that in Ca it is the year of the body. I am currently in the process of transplanting a 51 Willys pickup body to the frame and running gear of a 76 Chevy SWB Pickup. I would love to have a 73 CJ7 so i could avoid smog checks but unfortunatly they were not made before 76. I will have to stay with my 67 CJ5. One thing to remember is that under current law a 76 CJ7 would become exempt in 2006 when it is thirty years old. Most of my projects take this long anyway :)

Have Fun

Traderrobb

· Registered
401 Posts
When I registered my glass-bodied CJ5 in CT, they made me get a duplicate state-assigned VIN ($50) because the VIN plate (which is attached to the body) had obviously been removed and re-applied. They spent about an hour searching for the duplicate VIN on the frame, then gave up and put a new VIN plate elsewhere on the body.

CJ7's didn't exist in '73, perhaps you could stretch a CJ5, and use a lot of CJ7 parts? If the VIN was on the firewall in '73 like in later years, maybe you could cut it and weld on the back of a CJ7 body (or say you did)? Best bet is to check with your local DMV to see what's legal.

-Dana

Baby oil is NOT made by squeezing dead babies!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.