Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BestTop SuperTop on my '82 CJ-7, and I rarely clean the windows because I don't want then to get that "scratched-hazy" look to them. I was wondering that the best stuff to use would be? Like I said, I don't want to scratch the windows, and I am sure that there is something that is made for this. Thanks in advance.

Mavric
'82 CJ-7 i258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The auto parts stores sell a paste cleaner for platic windows for about $3. I don't remember the name but it was in the wax section. 4wd.com sells the stuff too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest you take the top off and just use a water hose to wash any dust away. Then use a soft cotton towel to dry them or let it air dry. Rubbing plastic windows covered with dust or dirt particles will leave swirl marks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are my experiences, with 32k miles on soft top on '98 TJ, 50k miles on soft top on Samurai before that. The BestTop on the Samurai had the directions molded into the windows "Clean only with soft cloth saturated with water." I first rinse off the heavy dirt with a hose or by throwing a bucket of water onto the windows, then I use an old T-shirt or cloth diaper that is dripping wet to gently wash the windows from top to bottom. I rinse the cloth often in a bucket of clean water. I then VERY carefully wipe the windows dry with a dry cotton cloth diaper or a soft paper towel. I occasionally finish by using the Suzuki Plastic Window Polish that I bought for the Samurai. The windows _must_ be clean before using the polish. My experience is that haze is caused by allowing the window to rub against something. When I roll up the back window, I use half of a fitted sheet to prevent the plastic from rubbing against itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My grandfather tipped me onto #23 plastic polish. It's not name brand stuff, it's industrial. He gets it from the paint store. It not only cleared up a LOT of the haze on my windows, it's great for turn signal covers and works great getting the haze off yer plastic fenders.

TXJeepr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the Meguire's stuff. I've owned a detail shop for about 5 years and use it on everything with a soft top that comes through my place as well as on my jeep.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
So where do you get the Meguire's? I can't find it. Even took an old bottle (gray bottle, white lettering) to
my favorite auto supply house, couldn't find it in the book even with the number. Wasn't a case of the
guy being stupid either, I've known him for 40 years since we went to high school together and besides I
looked myself. All their other products were listed but not the plastic polish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A local at a detail shop tipped me this one... Use plain jane GOJO hand cleaner with a soft rag. NOT PUMICE! It worked very well on the really hard to clean stuff and then if you go over it with maguiars it lasts for a long time, I do mine annually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.