Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK..one of the bolts stripped out it's hole on my intake manifold...the hole I am talking about is one of the two that holds the coolant hose in place over the Thermostat. I got one side nice and snug and the other side the hole is stripped out pretty bad. Is it ok to drive it without coolant for a short distance?? I have a nice electric fan that cools well and its pretty cold here in upstate NY(20 degrees)....I need to go a few places before I will get a chance to pull the manifold off and retap it..so would this be ok or would I be damaging my engine??

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

I forgot to mention it is a Chevy 350 engine....

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif NO,NO,NO,NO,NO.
Do not drive it w/o coolant.Hurt the eng.? Oh yes!
Fix it first. A helicoil is a good and easy option.
Take a minute/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif-save a week/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
You don't have to take off the intake just the thermostat housing.
This job should'nt take over 15min.
85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I just went to your site & /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif you have a pic of it/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Anyway, take the thermostat housing(the part the hose goes on) off & redrill,tap& helicoil it. OK maybe you don't have on. If you are really lucky some of the SB chevy intakes have more thread down in deeper,check that,maybe you could get by w/a longer bolt./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifI would'nt recomend going to the next size bigger (7/16) because the thermostat housing doesn't have a whole lot of extra metal around the bolt hole. Anyway I've been there/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif and done that and it's not too hard to fix/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif From the pic it looks like your intake is a stock gm piece.

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
If you have more questions you can e-mail me and I'll be more detailed.
Hope some of this helped.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

·
Registered
401 Posts
You might make a couple of miles before your engine siezes, if you're lucky.

When I got my CJ5 I junked the Datsun pickup it replaced. It had a bad rod knock and was so rusty it wasn't worth fixing, so the junkman would give me $25 if I drove it in. 'Bout 1/4 mile from my house the noise got worse, I glanced in my mirror and saw nothing but white smoke (well, steam, really). Uh-oh. Looks like I threw the rod. Temp gauge creeping upward. 1 mile from my house, no more steam now, gauge near max, engine's running REAL rough. 1-1/2 miles, pumping the gas while at a red light to keep it from stalling (did I mentioned I'd replaced the good battery (which I needed for the CJ) with a totally dead one, so no chance of a restart?). 2 miles, another red light, barely running, temp gauge is pegged and really alarming noises coming from the engine, don't dare to stop now, I ran right through the red light (lucky nobody was coming the other way). Downhill all the way now..... 3 miles from home, rolled accross Rt. 1 without stopping, coasted into the junkman's lot as the engine died, doubtless forever /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Got my $25, though, and never looked back /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

-Dana

In England, the cops say, 'Halt or I'll say halt again!'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.