Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - this is it. I've picked up the leave papers and tomorrow morning I am off to western VA for a week of campin' and Jeepin' with a fellow Marine and Jeeper.

Although western VA (not West Virginia) is no Rubicon trail, from what I have been told, there are some substantial trails here and there. We are certainly not going to kill our rigs out here - especially since there are only two of us - and the guy I am going with has very limited trail experience, but we do want to be prepared "just in case." (Keep in mind we are camping, so food, etc. is not an issue - I'm looking for a vehicular perspective only.) We already have the standard equipment (jack, fire ext., 1st aid, lug wrench, chain, tow straps) but we also have packed tools, two extra u-joints, extra belts, extra alternator, extra starter and solenoid, enough oil for a complete oil change, 10 gal gas, extra fluids, wire, duct tape, jb weld, gasket material, extra fuel hose, 550 cord, hose clamps, and wheel bearings. While this already sounds like alot - keep in mind this is distributed between two vehicles, so it is really not that much stuff.

I have been through the routine dozens of times before - both in the military and in civilian life, but I always feel like there is something necessary that I am forgetting to bring. This time I thought, "Shoot, why not bounce it off the guys and gals on the BBS! This list could benefit everyone who is going out for a week or so of camping and wheeling!" So there it is - now let's hear your list.

G

·
What about a spare oil filter, fuel filter, electric fuel pump with enough supplies to plumb it inline in a pinch, grease, flat-fix kits, spare coil wire or spark plug wire (in case either of your wires get a little too friendly with the manifold/headers, spare lug nut (they're too easy to loose), spare tire valve stem (in case one meets a rock, log, etc.), CB, cell phone, soldering tools/bars leak for the radiators, tarp to lay down and work under the jeep on, and in terms of wire, don't forget to bring both bailing wire and insulated wire...and maybe a few crimp on ends, some alligator clips, etc.

...oh, and it probably wouldn't hurt to have CJDave ride along just in case...

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Jay
What about spare shackles with bolts, an assortment of nuts and bolts, maybe a small grease gun and grease, spare lug nuts and studs, also a spare hub or 2 for that CJ. A tire repair kit, roll of bailing wire, and a pair of gloves. Just a few things I like to keep on hand in my Jeep when out.

GP'n

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Don't think I saw: flashlight (you can never have TOO good of a flashlight), a big knife, a small shovel, bungee cords.....

Have a great time!
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Yeah, but you could never bring enough beer for all of CJDave's Moonguys though, and he probably wouldn't go without them! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Jay,

I didn't see any personal protection on the list. I don't think Dave would go anywhere without it either, its always on the top of my list, just a thought ya kno. Later.

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?

G

·
yea i've taken a lot of secluded trips where there are no mcdonalds or circle k's. the flat repair is muy importante ie plugs, cement, can fix-a-flat and of course jack, spare and lug wrench. right up there on top of list is a weapon. there are a lot of wierdos out there and you would be at their mercy if caught without. don't take too much stuff or it takes the fun out of it. having two rigs takes a lot of the pressure off!

have fun
steve

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Jay,
Have fun!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Bring along your entrenching tool in case you have to get the Jeep off from a high center and a couple of pieces of 1 1/2 foot squares of 3/4" plywood to give your jack a stable platform on very soft ground. Good Luck!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

PS A First Aid Kit!!!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
and lets not forget the cheap beer.. so when you do figure out that you forgot something.. you can take the edge off yourself..
good jeepin..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
THE KITCHEN SINK! Bring the kitchen sink, just so you can be reassured you brought EVERYTHING! Sorry, guys, but its late...and right now...that seems funny....

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Yeah, don't forget the other "special" camping equipment like the left handed smoke shifter, bucket of steam, beacon stretcher/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Like Mike said, it's late!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I am out of here. I will be back to harass you all in about a week.

Dad nabbit! I forgot the bacon stretcher!!!! Thanks James. I knew I forgot something.

Well anyway, these are good lists. Some of these items listed never leave the Jeep - so I failed mention them. Overall, I do believe we brought everything except the kitchen sink between both of us. At today's gas prices, it may be more cost effective to just leave all of it behind and buy it all when we get there then throw it all away before we drive back to get better the better gas mileage in our lighter vehicles. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif There was one very important item I did forget to pack. The grease and the grease gun sure is handy when you replace those bad bearings and broken u-joints! Thanks Jim! I'd would have been fuming while scraping off every last drop of available dirty grease hanging off this and that underneath.

As far as personal protection is concerned, I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of any such items that may or may not induce death or bodily harm to a potential assailant . . . The only thing I know at this point is that there are two Marines, in Jeeps, out in the woods, and both have PERSONALLY OWNED 782 gear on their backs . . . and it all depends on how you define the word "is" and the word "did." /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

We will have a great week because the worst day on leave is still better than the best day on duty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.