Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, I am going to look at a used Big Tex 16' flatbed trailer to haul my jeep. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them. This particular trailer has been used to haul his river rafts for the past 16 years. He finally decided the trailer is overkill for that and is considering trading his trailer for mine with a little cash thrown in to make him come out good.

I would appreciate any thoughts you have on this brand, or things I may need to look at before purchasing it.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't know if your familiar with magnum trailers. They build a benchmark trailer. very nice, pricey though.
Well magnum also does boat docks here in central Texas. So during the boating season they quit trailer production. During this time they fill their stock with Big Tex. Yup, Big Tex is also a very good trailer.

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i just bought a used of the wall brand name trailer for 1300.00. I wouldnt worry about the name of the trailer. Look at how it is built and how the welds are. I looked at brand name trailers and found that my off the wall trailer was built better. Used heavier c-channel, had a few more braces, and the welds were much better. I did have to close in the center though. But if you can get a good deal on it and it is in good shape go for it.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yea Pontiac,
I did pretty much the same thing. 18 foot steel bed dovetail car hauler from a place outta Ft Worth. Did a nice full wrap tongue, bulldog hitch, 3500lbs axles and the welds looked like he had done more than a few.
Cost less than most wanted for the wood deck. The only thing is, he could'a done a little more thorough job on the paint. Had to do a little touch up repainting in a few areas.

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Paint on a trailer!!! Oh ok you mean that stuff that was fading away. On any trailer you almost have to paint it every couple of years. It never gets washed and always sits outside.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
My dad has a Big Tex that he hauls his back-hoe and numerous other farm tools around with, and he likes it. His is a 24' 5th wheel. So far it has been a good trailer.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, If this guy ever figures out if he really wants to get rid of it, I will look at swapping mine for his.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts