Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is all there for howell fuel injection and how much performace wize does it change a stock 4.2, are there big changes and better gas milage, or is it not worth the time and money doing it, adn how does it work?
thanks
mikey

(\/)ikey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is a modified GM TBI system, from what I understand slight increases in performance and mileage. The big advantages for wheeling
are the ability to operate at severe angles and the availability of parts at an GM dealer. TPI is more efficient, but costlier. Compare the
prices on the Mopar TPI to the Howell TBI.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have installed this kit from www.4wd.com and it worked great. I know my way around a 258 pretty well but am no mr. mechanic and it was a 2-3 day job at a very relaxed pace. Only problem encountered was the factory wiring on the pump was backwards. Fixed it and it fired right up! Noticed increased fuel economy (about 3-5 MPG extra.) Did not notice a power increase but that 258 was VERY tired and in now in the process of getting a new heart. I put the TBI on the rebuilt engine last night on the engine stand and hope to put it in the Jeep this weekend after the HEI upgrade goes on. After all this I am hoping for a really sweet running 258.

In my opinion I would do the HEI retro first and then move on to the TBI if the first doesn't achieve what you want. Everybody loves the HEI retro and I have to find out for myself, but I already threw the $1000 at it for the TBI retro. Just that really gave it life in the cold Wisconsin winters.

'79 CJ7, '83 CJ7, '84 CJ7
258s - 1 w/ Weber, 1 - w/ Howell TBI, 1 - in restoration

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.