Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My non-jeep brother in law wants to know what drive train is in an 85 cherokee Loredo. All I got out of him was that it had
a 4-cyl and a four or five speed manual. Of course he asked me what would be an easy engine swap. He said he could get it for
$500 and it had a pristine body. So what are the possible drive trains? Are there any easy swaps? He's getting rid of a blazer to
go Jeep, so what could I say other than I would help him!

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
its a pretty puney little drivetrain, I dont think it would hold with many engines He might want to swap in.

buy it for $500 and drive it as is?

IM sure the drivetrain specs are avaialble iat the orc tech section, check it out, LOTS of cool stuff

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

·
Registered
840 Posts
the 85 should have a dana 44 rear and a model 30 front like the wrangler had not really puny the tranny is junk and so is the 4banger those years came with the venerable gm 2.8liter V6 not a bad little motor and i have seen cheerokees with smallblock chevys swapped in but the front axle would definately need to get beefed up for that kind of power

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
85 was also before they started putting in the inline 6 so the engine compartment will be a little cramped for anything bigger than a V6. The 3.4 or 4.3 chevy should be a good swap. I have a friend that has a 3.4 in his commanche and it provides plenty of power.

G

·
are you sure about the 44 rear?? the 4 cyl is supposedly better than the 2.8 V6.. my friend had a 2.8, its pretty pathetic. chevy engines are the easiest swap ive heard, easier than trying to put the 4.0 in at least. if the body is good, buy it.

Hall

i like jeeps... i've had my share of them :)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Most people put a 4.3L Vortec motor into them. the 4.0 will not fit - they redesigned the firewall to make the 4.0 fit in later years.

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It's got the 2.5 and either the AX-4 or AX-5 tranny. The diffs are D30 front and D35 rear.

"Every form of refuge has it's price."

G

·
I would bet money on the dana35 and the dana 30. The 44's werent used much untill 87 and still not that often.
SCRAM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts