Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question shows my complete ignorance when it comes to electrical systems. What do the solenoids in the winch solenoid pack do? Why not just run cables to the battery with a switch? Do they control the direction of current flow, i.e. winch direction? I saw CJ7Taz's reply to a solenoid post and he gave a quick diagram. I looked at it and just started drooling and babbling incoherently, so I figured it was time to find out what they really do. Thanks/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
they do the same thing as a switch, but are safer and allow the use of a remote control. the reason warn uses four solenoids is for safety issues. if a solenoid were to weld closed, the winch could run and wreak havok. do not use ford solenoids either, as they are not heavy enough to handle the amperage of a winch motor.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Actually, there is a little more to it. To reverse a DC motor with field windings, you reverse the current
(polarity) in either the armature or the fields, but not both. Warn took one side of the armature to ground
and reversed the fields. One pair of relays connect the other armature lead to F1 and connect F2 to
positive. To reverse the motor, it reverses F1 and F2 by using a second pair of relays to connect F2 to
the armature and F1 to positive.

The Ford style relay is what Warn used, I took the cover off of an XD9000. The new motors are rated at
4 HP, the old ones used 2 HP. The 4 HP is about 3000 Watts, dividing by 12 Volts gives 250 amps. The
starter relays can handle upwards of 600 amps.

The "in a nutshell answer" is you would have to have a really big double pole - double throw switch to
replace the solenoids.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually the new 4.6hp motor draws apprx. 480 amps at full pull. stock ford solenoids will not handle this kind of amp draw. the warn solenoids are only about $14 each. use pn 2040 as these are the better of the two solenoids warn uses. another secret is to use a contactor pack that is used on their industrial products. pn 36788 and 34462 make up the parts needed to retro this on. much better system in my opinion.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As RemyDodge will tell you, we learned this in class:

A stolenoid has a moveable core, as apposed to a relay that has a fixed core. What that means is that internally, when the stolenoid is activated, windings create a magnetic field, which pulls the contacts down and completes the circut. A relay pulls the contacts together magnetically. The advantage of the stolenoid, is that there are two big contacts, where the relay has to pass power through a hindge.

Just thought I'd make y'all think I knew something...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.