Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, in the apartments that i live in here in Indianapolis, some vandals have been messing with cars. They have done everything from slashing tires to stealing cars...!!! Luckily I was not in town when they went on their first rampage, but I don't want the Jeep stuff stolen or the Jeep stolen from the lot. I am wondering what the best options in Car Alarms, Anti-Theft devices are......what do you guys use? what works?

Thanks, this could be some good advice since this country where we live seems to be getting more violent and destructive.

Brad

Square-headlights doesn't mean the driver is a yuppie....remember that and wave.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two Suggestions:

1:) Find another place to live
2:) Follow the Golden Rule...Never leave anything in a Jeep that you wouldn't want someone else to have. Sad but true

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats about all.. your in a Jeep.. everything can be taken.. Just take anything you hold dearly with you.

78 CJ7 "Issues"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You\'remissing the point of my question

Yes, I know that I am in Jeep..and I have been in one for years. And I take everything out that I can....I am smarter than that. The question is: What do you do for security? I know that not everyone has an alarm or THE CLUB......but in case you do...what would that be? I realize that if someone REALLY wants the thing, they are going to get it...but after put $15,000 into a vehicle, a little help from some system would be nice! Thanks for any help in giving me advice for security systems.

Brad

Square-headlights doesn't mean the driver is a yuppie....remember that and wave.

·
Registered
654 Posts
On my TJ I put an alarm from Crutchfield on it. It has your basic starter kill, plus a zone protection that you can set the sensitivity so that if someone walks within 5' it will go off. I have only had one thing stolen out of it, I think it was the one time I left the alarm off. Plus I was asking for it since I forgot to move the CDs out of site. There isn't anything on the CJ. I figure its old enough and ugly enough at this moment in time that people don't even bother trying to steal stuff out of it. Thats just my 2 cents.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cjdave has the best idea I've seen in a long time. If you ask really nice, maybe he'll send you the gory details.....

--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just like the others said, don't leave anything in it someone would want, which is anything. If you must leave things in it I would get a good locking box, something like a truck body box with good locks and bolt it in. I'd forget about "The Club", they are rather easy to get off, and look into something that blocks the brake or clutch pedal. In the end its still a game, they may pass you up or get angry and trash your vehicle, if they can't do anything with it. Not trying to get you down, but you should know what to expect.

BMB

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You could always sit on the balcony or in the window at night with your favorite rifle, some extra ammo and a night scope... /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

You could put a chain link fence up around your parking spot and hook an electric fence charger up to it. Barbed wire perhaps? Flame throwers?

It's unfortunate that we can't go to such extremes to protect our things... /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif The scum of the earth are allowed to cart off and otherwise molest our posessions and all we can do is let them /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif...

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a steel cable that has a loop welded in each end I loop one end around the clutch and brake peddle and the other end i lock with a master lock to the steering wheel.I know that this is not absolutely fool proof but I used to live in some apartments that had a problem with car theft and no one bother the Jeep with the only exception being that some one stole one of the fire extinguishers.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you have a Fuel Injection than put a on/off switch in the wires that go to the Injectors (Hide it under dash or some where else inside the Jeep), If you put the switch under the hood than they might see you switching it off when you get out! If you have a Carb than put a switch in the wires that go to your distributor! Do I nice clean job so they cant see what is wrong. Hope this helps!

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,33" BFG's Mud's,Pony Carb...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My vehicles are protected by Glock.

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I just put my jeep in low range, if they wanna take it, they are not going anywhere fast with 100:1 I doubt they would know what to do with 4 shifters. As for anything left in the Jeep, well, I have never had a problem with it, even the keys are on the floorboard. Different area I geuss.

John
48 CJ-2A, 49 Willys truck, 70 Jeepster Commando, 89 Wrangler, 98 4x4 Tacoma

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"DieHard Security Battery" one of the best systems on the market. Anti theft, driver entry warning, tamper resistance ect, ect. Check it out.There have been many write-ups in several mags on this system. Shuts down system, thief would need a spare battery with him to start your jeep.

Jeeps - Cigars and Guns. What more could a man ask for!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another idea is a kill switch from your fuel pump, they might get a mile but after that they will wonder what happened and probably trash it and leave.

Jason
'86 CJ-7
3" Rancho lift, 33x12.5 Pro Comp M/T,
4.10 Gears, and locker in front, Weber, Rebuilt 258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well my last cj5 the ignition switch was busted so i never used a key. i always just poped the hood and took the coil to distributer whire and then put it under my jeep on the tranny cross member. i stashalot of stuff there especally in the summer when i'm at the beach and i'm wear swim trunks alot i just put my keys and wallet under there.

have any of you had your jeep parts stolen i know a guy who had his half doors and his soft top stolen. i have know guys that had winches, lights, you name it stolen off of their jeep. i'm going to invest in an alarm as soon as i can affor one.

also park in the light.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well heres my info if it helps, as a fellow jeeper i know what its like to get thinks stolen, and well we all know it sucks, so every once in a while i'll have one of my friends try to steal my jeep, giving them the key, #1, if they can't drive stick, sometimes they won't bother, also if i put the tranfer case in Neutral and have the parking brake on, they can't figure out why it won't go and never think to look the the lever next to the stick, wheel locks are a must if u have nice tires, i run dual hood locks, one that uses a key from the outside and one that uses a differnt key from inside the cab, if u have half doors, getting some of the little tiny locks from the hardware store and hooking both of the window zippers to it makes it so u can't just slide one ziper open unlock the jeep and get it, u'd have to cut the window or take a side window off, if i'm gone for a long time i'll take the igniton coil to distributor wire off and put it in my pocket, good luck driving then, always park with your wheels turned so u can't role it back and load it into a truck and make sure the wheel locks, put a realy really relaly tight chain around the stick and 4wheel drive lever so u can't shift, but its gotta be really relaly night.. use either those tuff, i i think door lock things, anything is better than nothing, or use 2 nuts on the top door pin, and tighten them into each other makes it a but harder to get off, never keep anything in plain view.. and the number one thing to remember, if someone wants your jeep bad enough, they can steal it.. but giving them hell before hand makes it worth the while.. anyone know anyways to electrify a jeep? i think that would be really handy.. oh well have a good one!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 32"BFG MT's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello,

First all, I have read some of the other posts and your responses. So you are worried about the "ride" itself? Read on...........

May I suggest renting a garage somewhere else to store your jeep, sometimes you only have to venture out into a nearby (safer) neighborhood. You'd be suprised and what is available to rent. Especially if you are a student living near or on a college campus. Nearby families sometimes like to have an extra $30.00 or $40.00 each month. Choosing the garage is very important, use common sense, man. Don't rent something next to a vacant lot or in the woods where even the homeowner is not around.

If you cannot find a garage within walking distance or rollerblading or bicycling distance (yes, effort would be involved there) then consider buying a "beater" as your daily driver and keep the jeep in a garage further away.

Now wait a minute!!!!!!!

Before you shoot me down, I realize that you are a student and that your jeep is your daily driver and that buying a "beater" would cost money that you probably have a need for elsewhere (I'm talking $100.00 -$400.00, OR LESS (you've spent more on dates! or jeep upgrades!) They are out there, trust me, I got my "beater", a 1977 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon that took me through four years of college (87-91) for one dollar. I kept my 1972 Pontiac Convertible in a rented garage, away from the crack neighborhood that the college was located in and never had a problem).

Some people's egos won't allow them to be seen in some crappy little rabbit-like import or beat-up station wagon, well what can I say.... Those are the type of people that theives prey on................... constantly.

Some alarm systems cost a good deal of money and often are ignored when they sound off. If you took that same amount and bought a "beater" installed a kill switch in your jeep and rented a garage, I think you would be ahead of the game. You never know, they might even let you work on your jeep in the garage!!!

Remeber.......... out of sight, out of mind.

Most thieves are bascaily lazy and a good way to come out ahead of them is to make more of an effort securing your posessions that most thieves would exert in trying to steal them. It sounds like you have spent a lot of time and money on your vehicle, it would be a shame to let some d!ckless piece of sh!t [email protected] with it.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you and you are able to keep what is yours.........

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

torx: mistake, or did they do it to us on purpose?

·
Registered
439 Posts
the cheap fix

Here's a couple of things I learned from working on a race car and playing with my jeep. stupid little things piss off theifs, so.... piss them off. I don't mind a person getting in my jeep cause there is nothing to steal, it's the jeep itself. use a kill switch, why not, stick it under your dash or on your dash if you want but under is safer, turn it to on and start your jeep normally. Brakes, sure you can put on your Emergancy brake, but run a valve off your rear brake line under your seat or some where hidden, push down the brakes and close the valve! they get pissed when they pop the e-brake off and the brakes are still on (this guy has sticky brakes [censored] it, next car) and if all else fails a valve on the fuel line is never out of the question stick it up in some hidden area, they may take your jeep but if you shut that valve they aren't going far at all. usesally i think they'd get pissed after 10 minutes or so and give up. another hint is to put alot of switches for stuff on your dash like lights and others. I'm putting my horn on he dash, that'll piss them off filpin switchs and pressin bottens to get it to go and then they hit the horn!! ya run buddy cause my 12 gauge is faster than you!! those tips should buy you at least 8-12 min before they decide to leave and they are cheap.

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As far as security, I used to hook a few basics up - alarms, the club, kill switch - and left it with that because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on security. However, after someone tried to take my truck several years back, my attitude changed; I now spend what is needed to secure my vehicles (especially my jeep). I realized with the truck that if they can't start it, then 9 times out of 10 they will leave it alone (but will take anything not bolted down.) I secured mine for only around $500 which is nothing compared to the thousands I will put into it for improvements. I make sure that my jeep can not be started by a thief and there is nothing visible or not bolted securily that they would take. Some of the things I have done are as follows:

- Electronic alarm with remote rigged to disable the starter, fuel pump, distributer, and with hood locks

- Pad lock on hood behind grill

- Manual shut off valve on fuel line (hidden)

- Tuffy security console for radio equipment

So far no one messes with my jeep anymore (Oh, prior to doing the above, the jeep had 3 radios stolen out of it.)

Thanks....
Don M. Leners
1985 CJ-7 :: 4.2L/258, Project Jeep
Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/~dmleners
Jeep Page: http://www.geocities.com/~dmleners/jp.htm

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: the cheap fix

i like HuskyJeeps idea of the buttons and switches! what do you guys think of this: on the dash, put a switch and a button. CLEARLY label the switch "POWER ON" and the button "START". wire this up to a relay to power the horn. actually, the "POWER ON" switch could be a dummy. use the pushbutton to energize the relay. wire it so that when the button is pushed, the relay energizes itself, sounding the horn continuously until the circuit is broken with another hidden switch or small timer. what do you guys think? matt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts