Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing with springs on my scrambler and want to know some stats!! Seeing how mine was burnt to the ground when I found it, I dont have the gvw sticker to tell me what it wieghs..Or at least what it is suppsoed to weigh!! What I want to know is the weight of a scrambler vs the weight of a waggy with a v8 and d44's under it...I figure my scrambler should weigh close to the waggy with the v8/winch/ other doodads..

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Even with the winch and stuff, you would be amazed how much less your scrambler weighs. Waggys have power every thing, sound deadener, insulation, and much more. Plus the gvw sticker only tells you how much the hehicle should weigh with it fully loaded(passengers/cargo/trailer tounge weight). The best bet is to just find a junk yard near by with a scale.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, but I'm at work and bored to tears!!! The scram. has d60's>>38's and all chevy motor,tranny / t-case..I figure from the springs up it should weigh fairly close. I've been running waggy springs on it for quite a while, but I bent one last week..I was just curiose if the springs were rated close to what I have them under....

·
Registered
644 Posts
with the weight of the axles and tires, the scram may weigh as much total. But for sprung weight(the weight obove the axles) I believe the body would weigh less.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 60s won't affect the springs because they are un-sprung weight. I haven't seen your jeep but I know it's hard to get them under 4000 lbs. if you have many goodies. The only way really tell is to drive it like you want to, and notice how often it bottoms, and if it rides well, a occasional bottom when baja'n is acceptable as it means that you are useing the full travel on the hard bumps...Just make sure you have the bumpstops in the right place...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They do work really well for what I do with the thing, I was just wondering how close they were with the weight I have. I figure I wear on them pretty good by inverting them, but thats the way it has to be as far as I'm concerned. I just wish I could get the second leaf wrapped around both ends so I wont be bending them as easy.I found a place in Dallas, but he want $85 per side for just the one spring!! Doesnt that sound kinda high?? That is just one spring, not the whole pack and that is me taking the springs to him!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They shouldn't bend if the stops are in the right place...I take the pack apart and cycle the suspension with only the main leaf in place (I make a spacer out of wood so I can use the u-bolts to cinch it tight to the axle), then I can check the shock and bumpstop measurements at full crunch and full droop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running the springs in a spoa.They only have about 2in. before they run flat, so in order to get the flex it can use they have to invert.I know it isnt good on them, but the only problem I've really had with them is fanning out under droop. The stock clamps cant really stand the unsprung weight I have. I'm going to get some rivets to make my own clamps with tonight and hopfully that will help hold the second leaf tighter to the first. I'm basically using my shocks for bumpstops, I hardly ever use the full compression unless it's really tweaked.It's fun catching air, but thats a rarity for me....At least the baja type anyway!! I'm pretty sure thats why they bent in the first place, I had to get out of the wash I was in and it was with mass quantities of throttle & air!! Backing out wasnt in the plans!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my ! shocks for bumpstops ! You are asking for trouble man. I like to leave at least 1/2" of shock travel after the bumpstop has collasped fully. The problem is that when the shock mount breaks off there will be nothing to save the rest of the suspension from self destructing, I've seen it many times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what you mean, I've been there done that myself..Like I said though, I rarly bottom the thing out..Since the 60 install, I havent put the bumpstops back on yet.. I'm pretty good a fabricating stuff, so I believe my shock towers will take the frame out before they will break but!!!!!Who knows...The springs usually wont go much further up and I end up with around a 1/4 in. of shock leftover..Just for safe keeping though, I'll put them back under it today when I replace the springs!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See my profile - your Jeep should probably weigh similar to mine. Mine weighs 4,080 lbs. trail ready. Big difference from my old 2A at 2,400! Hope this helps.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
'79 K10 mud racer (for sale)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it should!!! Yours sounds to be almost the exact thing I have...Cept mine is a little longer!! The 205 is a beast compared to the 300 too!! At least all the ones I've picked up anyway!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya, they sound close. You sure know the difference between a 205 and a 300 when you have them lying on your chest while on the creeper! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif What do you have on yours for injection? TBI or TPI? I plan to adapt a small block TBI system to my big block over this winter. (unless I come across a big block TBI system for the right price) Then it'll run better when it's on it's side. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm running a tbi system with a custom chip and a 454 throttle body.The 45 tbi has a little more airflow than the 350 one, and on the top end you can really tell the difference..(least on my engine anyway) It's not very radical by no means, but the damn thing wouldnt run the way I wanted it too without the chip and tbi!! It is very easy to convert and farily cheap too!! I do know you'll start breaking some parts before you relearn to drive...It doesnt stall before that axle snaps after that big lip at the top of the hill anymore!!! You'll love it!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the 454 TBI unit a direct plug-in replacement for the small block TBI?

My current plan is to get a complete stock GM 350 TBI system including wiring harness, sensors, ECM, etc. Then use a Holley high flow TBI unit and a custom chip from Howell. These items would make up for the air/fuel demands of the larger 454. Again, if I get lucky and run across a complete 454 system, I'll use that, but they are harder to find and the 350 systems are easy to find. I still need to decide which intake or adapter to use.

You're right, the TBI system tries hard to keep the motor from stalling. You shouldn't be breaking axles much anymore with a 60 in front! Or do you??

'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, I was refering to the d44 I had in it before!! THe only thing I've broke since the 60 install was a spring!! Yes,I bolted the 454 tbi in with the same intake and wires.The connectors are a little different between years, but they make adapters to swap betwen them.I havent seen the holley high flow tbi, but if I was a betting man, I would swear it is a 454tbi with their name on it!! I say go for it.... I would really try to at least get a 454 ecm though,you might be able to skip the chip by going that way!! It all depends on the way it picks up the speed sensor stuff..With a manuel tranny, you'll prolly have to get a custom chip anyway but that is better left up to the more knowledgible!!! I had them take the speed sensor stuff out of my chip and change the fuel map..Mine ran real lean on top end and surged alot..I got the chip and it still did to an extent, but when I bolted on the 454tbi it went away!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.