Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an axle that resembles a corporate 14-bolt, but has a Ford five-lug bolt pattern, and it is said to be out of a new Ford. It has stock 3.55 gears, and an open diff. It is about 66" from drum to drum, and is going to be bulletproof under my CJ. But I would like to know what it is called so I can get some gears and a locker for it.

78 CJ5/360/33's

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
When you say "got" an axle, do you mean for free? Or do you mean "bought" an axle? If you mean "bought", my suggestion would be to check it out more before purchasing next time;) Hehehe... As for what it is, sorry. I'm useless. Good luck...

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found out what it is. It is one of the new Ford Sterling
10.25 rearends. It came out of a '97 Ford Superduty. It is supposed to be stronger than everything except a heavyduty 14-bolt or a Dana 70. I traded my stock model 20 rearend for it. Ha Ha Ha.

78 CJ5/360/33's

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I thought that all the ford 10.25" axles were full floating.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
That's what I thought as well, and 8 lug, not 5. Definitely had me stumped. Are you sure it's a Sterling?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you find a 5 lug on a Super Duty, let me know...

92 YJ/4.OL I6/ 4"Superlift/1" Daystar Poly Body Lift/ 32X11.5 BFG's/8K lb Superwinch/Yada, Yada, Yada,

Go Hard or go home

·
Registered
661 Posts
Doesn't sound quite right. Here is a pic of the Sterling out of my Superduty for you to compare it with.

BigHG
84 CJ7

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't think that Ford makes a 5 lug axle for anything above a half ton truck. I woould double check, get the numbrs off the axle and call your local Ford dealership and ask them what you have. I would bet it is a F-150 axle. My Fi150 4x4 has the stock 3:54 gearing and limited slip from the factory.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's no sterling, I can tell you that for sure. All the 10.25" sterling axles are 8 lug full floaters It may be the rear from an expedition(I think they got rid of the 8.8 in those) But it's definetly not a super duty rear. And just for the record, a 10.25 sterling is stonger than a 14 bolt or dana 70. I pull these rears apart every day at work and know how beefy they are.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ford has used (as in true Ford Fashion) the Sterling 10.25" housing with smaller axles and carriers in some half ton applications with 5 lugs. According to our dealer here at work - another Ford snafu where they needed parts and made something fit. Nothing like non-standard applications!

The fleet I maintain here at work has 20 or so superduty 350's with the big sterling and they suck! They are constantly in the garage. They are all limited slips if that makes any difference. The comment about 14 bolts and Dana 70's jut isn't so according to my companies' experience. We have less trouble out of our GM and Dodge 1 tons. We are slowly weeding out the Fords in our fleet.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts