Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm from the chevy board but I have a Dodge question for ya'll. I'm helping my buddy with his '69 charger and was just wondering how I can tell what axle he has? It's 11 bolts and it has an 8 on the axle a AAPW, casting number(can't remember the number exactly) and a C18 or something like that...oh and a 117. All kinds of numbers, are these going to tell me anything about the axle? It would be nice to know what the axle is cause he has a parts car and I need to know what axle to rebuild for him. The one on his parts car almost looks bigger but I did not look very close. Any help or direction you could give me would be so greatly appreciated.

This mud is for you!
'88 Suburban, 3/4 ton, 9" Lift, 35" MudTerrains(Too Small)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HOWDY DUDE / I hafta know which motor it came with / 426 HEMI or 440 HP it should have a DANA 60 / the DANA 60 has a rear cover / 440 HP or 383 HP its got an 8 3/4 CHRYSLER rear #742 case / 8 3/4 has NO rear cover the rear comes out the front / slant 6 or small block its got a 8 1/4 with a small rear cover and this rear is junk to use with any HP / hope this helps and MOPAR TO YA ///////////////DEANO

DODGEBOYS/84 RC/LOCKED/35BOGGERShttp://pub10.ezboard.com/bdodgetrucks

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it came with a 383:( My '73 Charger has a 440, I built the $hit outa that thing. But anyway, so this would meen it has a 8 1/4 then? The other car he has is with out a motor and is still has the rear that comes out the front. How can I tell what rear end he has with out knowing what the motor was in that car? How hard is it to find a DANA 60 for this beaut of a car? I told him that is what he wants but I have not done any research to find out how hard or easy it is to come across this. Thanks for your help man. It's going to be one sweat a$$ ride when we are done. He's going the "General Lee" rout, he is doing all the body work and I get to do the wrenching. He is too concerned with the body and not enough with what is under the hood and his drive train. I am going to build this thing right for him. Any other help and info you could give me would be sooooo appreciated.

This mud is for you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's got the cover on the back of the diff it could still be a Dana 60. Find a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup and compare them. The back cover should be identical. The 8 1/4 is quite a bit smaller and like Deano says, no good for any hi-po applications.

'84 W250... 360... 727... 5" of lift and a rear locker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a 1967 Coronet with a 383 that has the 8 3/4 under it. More than likely it will have the 8/34. I don't think the 8 1/4 would ever hold up to a 383.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An 8 3/4 has a removable pumkin so that should be pretty obvious. If it has a back cover then it is NOT an 8 3/4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts. I had a chance to go look at them again and they are definatley 8 3/4. I have an interchange guide at home that I forgot all about and that pretty much told me what it is. I think we'll be keeping the 8 3/4 and just build it real tough. Thank you all for your help.

This mud is for you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.