Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What (and how) to disconnect to install 2\" TJ lift coils?

I recently purchased an Old Man Emu 2" coil lift for my 98 TJ. According to the Mopar Jeep manual, to remove and relpace the front coils, I need to disconnect:

sway bar (no problem since I have with quick disconnects), shocks, track bar at frame mount, drag link from the pitman arm, lower control arms at the axle & front drive shaft

I talked to a local mechanicl (who supposedly does TJ lifts all the time) who said only to just removve the sway bar and the shocks. I did that, but no way the stock coils were coming out (let alone 2" ones going in).

The problem seems to be the press fit connection of the drag link to the pitmnan arm and the press fit connection of the track bar to the frame. How do I removve these 2 connections without destroying the ball joint and / or rubber seal. The shop manual says to use a "univeral puller". Called around & no one has these or knows what they are. Plus, there's not much room (1.5" to 2") to get a puller in. Don't want to use a "tuning fork" due to possible damage. Any commets?

Also, can I remove the lower control arm at the frame end rather than the axle end to avoid messing with the "cam bolt" on the axle end?

Lastly, do I really need to disconnect the front driveshaft?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: What (and how) to disconnect to install 2\" TJ lift coils?

My stock springs came out easy. I removed the shocks, disconnected the swaybar connects. You just need two jackstands and a floor jack (or another person).

Lift one side of the axle up as far as you can and the other side's coil should come out with ease.

You dont need to remove the front driveline! To get the new coils in you might have to disconnect the lower control arms from the axle (or frame). Are you sure you have cam bolts?

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks, dude. So you didn't have to disconnect the drag link or track bar?

Sweet.

The cam bolts are located on the axle end of the lower control arm on my '98.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I put the same lift in my TJ about 3 months ago. I didn't need to disconnect any of the control arms to do it. Disconnect the track bars at the axles, stabilizer bar and of course shocks and you should be good to go. You may want to undo the breather hose for the front diff or at least free it from the control arm. When it was done I had to add some caster to the axle...one notch on the cam bolts did it. I did the Mohawk Jamboree this fall and it performed great. Nice road characteristics also.

Good luck
Sweeney

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.