Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a J-10 pickup (year unknown, rubbed out on the ID tag) that has a four-speed manual. The truck doesn't appear to run (has that plants-in-the-cab look) but I want to figure out if this thing has a wide or close ratio tranny. According to The Standard Catalog of 4x4s, granny T18s were not offered for J-10s (ONLY close ratio), but the Jeep Tranny Tech page on off-road.com shows a picture of a wide ratio T18 that it says came from a J-10. I just read in another Jeep book that ONLY the wide ratio tranny was available for Jeep trucks. I could probably raise the rear end, pull the clutch inspection cover, maybe pull the engine plugs, turn the driveshaft (hopefully), and watch the pressure plate turn. But I was hoping there would be an easier way to find out, like a casting that would differentiate between the wide and close ratio T18s. Any ideas? Were the T18As even offered in J-10s? The truck has a Wagoneer badge at the front, manual hubs, and a six-lug, one-piece semi-floater out back. Also the GVW is 6200 lbs., if that helps any. I don't think it has a granny T98since the truck looks like a later model. I have to track down the owner so I'm trying to figure out if this truck's tranny is even worth it before I go to the trouble. Thanks.
Tyler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To my best knowledge the J trucks used the wide ratio from 1976-1979. The wide ratio was used on some CJs also not just J trucks. My advice is to find the owner and ask him/her what year and tranny it has (if he even knows). If he/she doesn't know then watch the pressure plate.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.