Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL I HOPE YOU\'RE ALL HAPPY NOW!!!!!

Everyone who was nagging me to swap to the '96 8.8 w/3.55s can stop!
After all the #E!! havack & I went through Friday evening,

just trying to install this,

I had to swap it out anyway!

It has more torque than it used to
, but less top-end...

Anyway, I'll be rebuilding the old '87 axle soon and going back to 3.08/3.07, so nah-nah-nah!

G

·
Re: WELL I HOPE YOU\'RE ALL HAPPY NOW!!!!!

You have 3000rpm to go so, whats the problem?? Not sure what the peak hp of the 6 is but should be able to go faster with the 3.55 ratio? no? Just gotta throw in an E40D, that should get the rpm down 800 or so

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Re: WELL I HOPE YOU\'RE ALL HAPPY NOW!!!!!

i guess i've never seen your dash before, that's pretty nifty. did changing odometers give you any registration issues?

oh yeah, your voltage gauge is upside down

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
E4OD!!!!!

broncoman
No way!!! No slushbox for me!
I'm lookin' for a ZF!

muddy
No, none of the DMVs where I've registered it has even looked at the truck, much less the odo. The V gauge is from an '87-91 so that's why it's upside down, but I mention that in the caption of one of the webphotos pics.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Re: 3.55!!!!!

thats an interesting dash you got there!
I dont see what the big issue is, you obviously can still get the truck to do 80, and the speedo stops not that much further after that anyway! Jeez, you maniac , just how fast do you drive, anyway?!!!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Top?????

Just 'cause the speedo's needle stops doesn't mean the truck can't go faster!
I want the BACK end of the needle pointing at 20mph!
In answer to your question: just a few minutes ago I determined my CURRENT (temporary) top speed - 87mph.
I used to be able to peg the needle so hard I had to hit the brakes for a second to get it to come off the peg.
(And, yes, the cruise DID work at that speed!
) I've already got a junk axle with a decent tube & carrier that I'm gonna use to go back to 3.08.
My 3.07 front chunk can be finished now that I have the correct pinion shims, and as soon as dfry44 gets them installed, I'll get him started on the 8.8.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Re: Top?????

87 mph hell my top speed is 78 (3.55 with 4spd) dont matter if i run it off a cliff it aint going any faster but hell i didnt get for top end

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

shoot, even with 4.10's in mine i still managed to get the needle stuck!

(note: the needle is too long on the 87-91 dash to go all the way around!)

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

when i go above 90, mine just bounces from 85-90, what's up with that? one of my friends favorite hobbies is, when we're out riding in his chevy w/t, to get it going as fast as he can then see how long it takes for the speedo to get off the needle and start going back down. it stops at 90 and sometimes takes 5 seconds to register, so you can imagine how fast he gets that sucker going. fun!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Steve

Maybe I ought to change from 3.55s to 3.08s with my 86 5.0 litre. Is there something in between like Mopar's 3.23 or was it 3.08 or 3.55? I like the get up and go with the 3.55 right now and it has no trouble burying the stock speedo, but even with the AOD I'm itchin' to get those revs down on the highway.

That's amazing that your stock F.I six has the wheaties to get off the line quick enough for you with those 3.08s. Wonder what kind of acceleration I'd give up with my 5.0 litre. Sorry about the let down the 3.55s gave you, I remember finally finding the sweet axle ratio on a British car I had years ago and what a difference it made to every day driving.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
637 Posts

I haven't tested it yet but I've been curious since I bought the Bronco...is there a speed cut-out on it (OBD-II)? I had a '96 Blazer, and have been in other mid-to-late 90's vehicles equipped with the cut-out. The Blazer would cut-out at 90mph. Pretty scary towing a 21' boat home from the Delta the first time it happened

·
Registered
723 Posts
Re: cut out

tell about it the new dakota my wife got cutsout at 100 first time i did it i was passing someone i need to get the chip changed otu in it and my skylark cuts out at 110 on the other hand my 88 cougar has a digital speedo and stops at 85 but i can keep going if i switch to metric it goes way up

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

the OBD-II cpu might have a cutoff then, but the EEC-IV definitely does NOT. (On mine,) when the needle is pointing straight down, it gets caught on the bottom of the instrument cluster and shakes cause its trying to move further, but the truck still goes faster!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Just don't get a ticket in the process. I have hit it only 2 or 3 times in the 7 years I have owned this. And only on LLLLLLoooooonngggg stretches of nice open highway. Why would you worry about wanting to go faster? I can't hit it going down the 1/4 mile, I have never hit it passing, My tires probably aren't rated for much more, my ride height says I definitely should not be doing more, most PO LIC MEN will write a note to you on the subject, so why do you need it? Aside from the only thing that ticks me off...someone desinging something into my vehicle to force me NOT to do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts