Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am getting ready to strengthen my AMC20 rear end and was wondering everyones thoughts on welding the axle tubes to the housing to prevent them from spinning out. I just got a spare housing and i am going to prep it for the one piece axle swap. I have heard that it is best to do it in 1" bead increments so that the axle does not becoming hot and then brittle. I was thinking of 3 welds about 1" long on each side. What do you guys think?? Is this a good idea?? Before everyong tells me to junk the 20 and get a 44 i just dont have the $$ and i am trying to make do with what i got. Any advice or opinions on this would be well appreciated.

Thanks A Lot

Kevin Speicher
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/
79 Jeep CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally I wouldn't weld the tube to the end of the housing. Most axle builders(dynatrac, tri county, etc) say not to do this as it can cause the casting to crack over time. I've been told that rosette welds in the jig holes in the back are sufficient. If you feel you need more, I would suggest drilling a few holes in the casting 2-3 inches from the end and filling those with rosettes as well. That is how Dana welds are done at the factory, 6 welds spaced around the tube 2-3 inches back.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm with 'UT'.... I would ONLY weld the rear holes, as described in the Hicks web page/ tech page, on this subject. Ok to add a FEW holes, if you really want. Full welds around the casting/tube joint do not add any strength, and, in fact, weaken the joint. I'll guarantee a full-welded joint to break, if you play hard enough.

bob

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Just read in one of the 4x4 mags that welding will actually weaken the axle. Instead use an axle truss.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the best that i have seen is to fill the rosette holes, and four small(.75in max) fillet weld between the tube and housing. this does not weaken the housing as long as you go slow as to not build up heat in the housing. then add a stout truss. this does work better if you retube using a thicker tube.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mangler - with the axle assembled (so as not to warp anything while welding) weld it wherever and however much you want. I lay a huge bead around the tube on both sidea, and then weld up a killer axle truss on it. I have done three now and they all turned out great and there is no cracking or any problems. We're not working on Indy cars here, just beat up Jeeps... :)

Chuck Hadley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a note. I have a fabricator friend that runs dry lake cars and he says: If you weld on a housing, it's bent. Period. Now I don't know if thats to a degree to hurt a Jeep, but at 250 MPH it could be a little more important. Anyway there are guys out there that put them back in alignment for a cost. SO.. If your Jeep goes 250MPH, take a warning! ;-)Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am beefing my model 20 as well and having a custom jeep builder do the welding since I dont. He welds the tubes to the pumpkin. He has done this before more than once and continues to do it. I trust him as well as he has custom tube frame jeeps with coils and quater elliptics etc etc and his stuff works well enough to do the rock crawling comps. If you want to call him and see how he does it Im sure he will share his knowlege with you. His name is Jeff Beach and his number is 801-233-0389. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
i know if you weld cast iron, it will crack but if steel will crack then every ship in the water going to have a crack in it. As long as it mig welded or weld careful i would think no problem. beside they weld the ends how do they do that. if it will crack it will every where.

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Basically, here's my feeling on this (and most things on this board...). There are three ways to go about this:

1) Don't worry about it at all because it takes some pretty heavy-duty bashing to break alot of this stuff anyway.

2) Go for it and don't worry about all the pros and cons of the metallurgy. Weld up the housing, get in your Jeep, and do some trails and have some fun. If it does crack and break, whatever - who cares, get another one. Everyone here seems to be swimming in AMC 20 housings anyway - I have 3...

3) Worry about all the metallurgy, discuss it 17 times on this board even though you only know about it from heresay and don't even own a welder, work on your Jeep for YEARS trying to build the ultimate rock-crawler, during which time you NEVER go off-road. Basically, talk about it instead of doing it. I'm worried that alot of the people on this board are getting sucked into that trap. While half the people are saving for 3 years to buy the new Warn coil-over setup, the other half of the guys with their "boring" regular old leaf spring setups, AMC 20's and Dana 30's are out having all the fun. You really haven't Jeeped until you've spun and AMC 20 2-piece axle 400 miles from the nearest outhouse anyway - it's kind of like initiation into the sport, and what it's all about... Take whatever you've got, beef it up the best you can quickly and with your budget, and get out there!

Think about it...

Chuck Hadley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'right-on'. Truth be known, I just keep going with my relative 'stocker', even though it is an 'assembled' vehicle. I still run a 30, and I've had a 20, up until recently. My suspension is 'junk', by the standards one might imagine from this 'board'. And, I take it lots of places, just not very 'elegantly'. I enjoy watching the 'big-boys-toys', but I don't have the money or desire to duplicate them. I've tied my Jeep up, in the past, to work on it. I'm not willing to do that anymore. It's ready to go.
Regarding the 'weld-up' on the 20,... I still say, take the advise of Tri-County or Hicks (relative experts in the field), and just weld-up the holes. Hicks charges 10 minutes labor. And, be done with it. Go have some fun. If you play hard enough to break it, ask Chuck about his trusses. I think it's been posted here, before ?? (Hicks has a web-page, that describes the model 20 'weld-up', www.hicks4x4.com/newpage2.htm)
Chuck, do you or your friend still have the WWII MB or GPW? I need someone to measure the length of a stock front bumper. Can do??

bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips guys,

I have deciced to do the "Hicks Method" and just weld up the holes of the housing rather than the tubes. I will let yall know how it works out

Thanks Again

Kevin Speicher
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/
79 Jeep CJ-7

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.