Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K everyone the weekend after this one is my big weekend, tearing down the Jeep swapping in some D44's front and rear going SOA with 2.5" springs. Now my question is what, how, anything on how to weld a steel spring perch to the cast iron housing??? I know NOTHING about welding and I need to get some answers so I can make some phone calls. Thanks

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like you are just doing a SOA and need to relocate the perches to the other side of the axle tubes.?
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifGood news you are welding mild steel to mild steel/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
The tubes are nothing special it's the center section(diff. housing) thats cast.
A mig(wire)-(GTAW) welder will do just fine if it's CLEAN.
If you don't have that you can use a stick(SMAW tech term) or tig(gtaw) it if you're lucky enough to have one. Now you can impress your friends with usless information terms/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Have fun & lets see them pics when you get it done.

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Dirt Dog you are right but the mounts on the front axle that I have....well the driver side spring is integrated into the diff housing. I will have to weld steel to cast iron, I took the measurements. Thanks for the info...

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arc welding with 6018 rod should work fine. You are actually working with nodular iron, aka ductile iron, on Dana cases (and every other diff I know of except the third member of Ford 9" which is cast iron). I don't know the metalurgy, but ductile takes a weld much better.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ideally you should arc weld the perch in place with a high nickel rod. But the way most of us in the biz do it is to heat the cast area up with a torch real good, not red hot just good and hot and then zot it quick and hot with a mig. I've never had or heard of any problems with this system but I'm personally uneasy about doing it on steering components but for spring perches it works great. To avoid this whole problem on my jeep I cut down a chevy housing that has the lovely built in perch on top of the housing. Best of luck with your jeep.
Travis

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do you need to disassemble the axles before welding on the housing?

87 wrangler

·
Registered
586 Posts
When I did my rear it was taken all apart and I had already installed new axel seals. I noticed that the seals heated up a bit but were not damaged. So I guess the answer is no. Take your time and let the weld cool before adding more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.