Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welding steel plates on the \"Cast\" part of my Dana 60?

i know i've read and been told it's not a good idea to weld onto the casting.
but i'm wanting to mount my "ladder bar" and would really like to get it close to the center. i'm thinking about welding half the mount to the axle tube right next to the housing and the other half onto the housing itself, (i'm using 3/16" steel plate)
so i know this is not ideal, but can anyone tell me there luck with this? OR WHY I SHOULDN'T DO IT
also i'm planning on using a Mig Welder, or would an Arc welder be better if i got the correct rods?

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Re: welding steel plates on the \"Cast\" part of my Dana 60?

had a friend that welded one to the center of his diff.. and it worked great.. he took it off for off road purposes.. used some 880 sticks..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·

as long as the cast is not CAST IRON then you can use your mig if it has the ability to weld 3/16 plate. if you use arc then go with either 7018 or 8018 nothing higher since you want the weld not to be brittle from too high of tensile strength. no matter what you use you should heat the area to be welded to about 200 degrees if you can, this will give you better penetration and cause less stress on the cast area as the weld begins to cool.....if this is cast iron then use a good ni-rod with about 55% nickel composition in the welding rod.....just my .02

G

·

I just welded mine on with a mig welder,and it has been holding fine.I did put a good sized gusset on the the side that is welded to the tube though,and boxed the back of the bracket itself.

G

·

I agree with Tom. I've done a fair amount of cast repair, definitely pre and post heat
while bringing the temp down slow and use Ni rod or Inconel,peening it afterword
wouldn't hurt.

HAWG WILD
I USE TO BE SCHIZOPHRENIC, BUT NOW WE ARE FINE /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts