Off Roading Forums banner

welding rear end

1K views 4 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I'll probably be welding my spiders up this week, any sugestions, I'll be using stick,what kind of rod, 8018 or 9018 post-heat pre-heat? I've been thinking about it for some time, I just want to do it right, no explosions, welcome, to the new guys

G
#2 ·
I ran welded rear ends for awhile with no problems then I destroyed 3 back to back.My current position is to stay away from welding buy a locker spend a few dollars now and spend a whole lot less later.My welds were perfect the spider gears themselves were breaking.I believe the heat is to much for them.

Drive it like you stole it!!!

G
#3 ·
Do mine in few more weeks, disassemble and inspect rear end
do gear mesh test stuff list in service manual. As normal
turn job into NASA rocket launch.

Preheat gears up evenly A/O and rosebud then weld daylights
out gears. "My gears reek with carbon to make them hard"
Good luck on yours blackzuk

G
#5 ·
i welded mine with a 220 wire feed and they are running strong after about a year. i didnt use a preheat and i ran 70 wire (less spatter). if you use a stick welder cover the ring gear and use 6010 with a 7018 cover. the 6010 will really bite into the gears and will not be affected by the residual oil. i would tryto find someone with a wire feed though. it get into the spider gears alot deeper. good luck

96 mustang cobra convertable FOR SALE $15,000. only 18k mi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.