Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Surprisingly, it takes more skill to gas weld for strength than it does to stick or mig. The mixtures are so darn important so you don't oxidize the material. I'm sure I could teach someone in a lot lesss time than that because I've done it many times. For roll bars, we always did the job with gas. I had a modified barrel roll eight times on an asphalt track and the bars never cracked. STRESSED, but never let go. That was 1-1/2" tubing that we got army surplus. I think it was tent poles because they were swedged down to fit one inside the other, which gave extra strength
at some of the joints. That was a four point cage with two angle bars dropped down to the back and one diagonal. THE BIG PROBLEM is getting guys to add material and get CROSS SECTION. And if you don't, the weld is too thin. Mufflers are one thing...roll bars another./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.