Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the local community college's class schedule. I want to take a welding class...

To learn oxy-acetyene welding, it's 2 nights a week for 5 weeks, plus three Saturdays... What the HECK am I learning here? I can do the same time for ARC welding. Which is more suited to tublar welding/jeep related?

Thanks!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Jon - YJ94
http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
Drive it till you break it!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Surprisingly, it takes more skill to gas weld for strength than it does to stick or mig. The mixtures are so darn important so you don't oxidize the material. I'm sure I could teach someone in a lot lesss time than that because I've done it many times. For roll bars, we always did the job with gas. I had a modified barrel roll eight times on an asphalt track and the bars never cracked. STRESSED, but never let go. That was 1-1/2" tubing that we got army surplus. I think it was tent poles because they were swedged down to fit one inside the other, which gave extra strength
at some of the joints. That was a four point cage with two angle bars dropped down to the back and one diagonal. THE BIG PROBLEM is getting guys to add material and get CROSS SECTION. And if you don't, the weld is too thin. Mufflers are one thing...roll bars another./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmmm.... as per norm, CJDave comes through! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I guess you'll be sending some moonguys down to class with me!? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Jon - YJ94
http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
Drive it till you break it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Jon, just come down to my house. I picked up my clubs MIG welder the other day to work on my bumper project. I've got a closet full of steel, a welder, and a great welder across the street (also in the club) to make sure I'm doing it all right /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Learning oxy/acy makes you a better welder with all the different forms of welding...especially tig. You learn to control the puddle better, and you become more precise. With a mig, sometimes a guy will watch the wire instead of the puddle...oxy/acy won't let you do that. If you can weld well with oxy/acy, you can weld with anything.

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Farmjeep....Deadnuts answer! Thumbs up! The puddle is LIFE in welding. If you can control it you ARE a welder. Oxy/ace welding is a great place to learn. It teaches all of the BEST of the basic facts of welding. If you are real good at that you will be kick ass tig welding...and good money in it too!

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
good $$ in TIG welding?

where? Im in a case and frame shop now, and too ashamed to quote my hourly rate...

where do you go to make the bucks?

Ill finish my masters in CSCI someday, but for now, Im a welder...

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Ozark... welding evaporators for a subcontractor for Chrys. for one. How about started at $28 and left at $35 after 1 1/4 year./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif( I could work as many hrs as I wanted with time and a 1/2 sat. and 2x on sun) THIS WAS A SECOND-SET YOUR OWN HOURS-JOB!!!! A good tig welder can make good$$$$$$$$$ if thats all you want to do in my neck of the woods. There are lots more.......
Or maybe this this isn't that good of money./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
is that a union job?

thats twice what I make here, working on Gas Turbine parts for American Airlines, Israeli Air, Volvo, Fin-Air..!

jeeze, maybe I should work on Dodge cars..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Non union small shop. 20 mi s. of here they build up titanium impellers on jet engines and they start at around $20(at least 10 years ago that I looked into it). But it would take 10/20 years to get a first shift job. Always a demand around here for good "specialty welders"!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.